• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Strake Scratches

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
In the garage tonight, prepping for a road trip to Florida, under the boat lubing springs, spraying corrosion protector, and generally checking things out.
While under there, I notice that at numerous locations, I've either got scratches or bad gelcoat. They're only on the high points of the hull strakes. You have look close at the photo to see them.
Not sure what to make of them whether they're from lifting straps, poor handling of the hull a the factory, marks in the mold, shipping, or whatever. There's no rhyme or reason to their location other than they are all on or near the highest peaks of the hull strakes.
Anyone...please let me know if you have any ideas or maybe have similar marks on you strakes.
Thanks
DSC_2540.JPG

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The boat is brand new. Never been docked. Getting it ready for its maiden voyage other than the test drive at the dealer where they backed it in the water and they were right there for launches and landings.
And these marks are on the strakes, low on the boat, no chance of them ever coming near a dock. No marks on the keel itself that I could see.

Kevin Carlin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I've had mine about 3 months and have had no problem. Did you look at the boat closely when you bought it. I went over mine really good.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It sounds like it would be worth a shot contacting your dealer and trying to get it fixed. If they were there for the water test and you haven't put any additional hours on the boat, maybe they'll fix it for you? Otherwise a quickie gel coat fix could probably be done yourself for under $100.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Definitely talk to the dealer. I may be transportation damage going to the dealer. If you are about to go on a trip call the dealer and share the pictures to show this is before the trip.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like is rubbed/ground down on something. Do you have any pics taken a bit further back? Just wondering if it could've come in contact with the trailer somehow.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I wonder if it was done by another person doing a test drive before you bought it? It sucks but if mine has it, it won't be alone for long...LOL. I tend to take my boats in some skinny water during the spring flipping for bass. Won't be surprise if I end up with some racing streaks on the bottom. Rubbin is fishin!!

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
IMG_20160318_095751574_HDR.jpg Sent in photos to the dealer. He's getting with Yamaha and will get back with me on how to proceed. Wierd though, the photo is definitely a scratch, but some of that other stuff I saw and felt as I ran my fingernail across seems to be something on the hull rather than gouged into it. I was trying to get out the door so I didn't have much time but I took a little time and elbow grease and it seemed like it was a calcium build up of some sort.
I think the previous test drive comment may be the likely culprit. Probably some of that good hard Oklahoma water left on on there solidified. :rolleyes:

Anyway, now sitting in a hotel with an easy 5 hour drive to our vacation destination left for the morning. Weather pending, I'll be in the Gulf watching a sunset tomorrow. compared to when I left CO...anything will be nicer.

Last edited:

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I'll have to give those wheels a spin like @OUT ON THE REEF did when we get there. I obviously forgot to request the round wheel and tire package too. Pretty good little high speed vibration when I see that left fender in my mirror. Everything is running nice and cool though.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good luck in the gulf let me know how things go. I installed the Thrust Vector this weekend and it really does improve the handling. Without the plates when you put the boat in reverse turning the wheel either way the boat barely moves. After installing the thrust vectors its like night and day when running the boat in reverse. It actually turns and the boat is soo much more responsive. The weather was horrible this weekend so could not test out how much they help with tracking when running the trolling motor. When I put the boat in the slip it was so much easier with the vectors on the boat responds almost instantly.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Cool. Blowing like crazy here. Didn't even throw the boat in today. Even our protected little bayou has white caps. We'll see how things go tomorrow but the wind looks like it's hanging around a while. If it will just change direction instead of north we'll be fine,

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That sucks we had the same crap up here in Tennessee North winds, cool temps, and white caps on the lake. Hoping Easter weekend is going to be a little better might have to tuck away in a cove and crappie fish.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Boat is in the water. :) Farted around most of the day. Ended up taking a drive to Panama City. Re-phrase...Pricey drive.
Lunch, thrust vectors, helm pad, and console organizer along with a stop at Wally Mart and West Marine...ouch.
Got home, installed TV, launched around sunset and took a quick spin on the bay and came back and figured out how best to tie up at our rental house.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
What did you think of the control with the new Thrust vectors installed? The biggest benefit for me is I think it will help my wife when she drives the boat. She had a tough enough time with learning to turn the wheel before giving gas the last thing I wanted was the boat to still not move. The good thing is I can have her throw my iPilot in the water and I can drive it remotely...LOL gotta love technology.

I just dropped $225 on a 45qt Pelican Cooler so I understand that the flow of money never seems to stop.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I didn't have a lot of hours on the boat before adding the TV's. So I'm probably not the best comparison expert on the subject. That said and from what I remember about our test drive, there's a lot less corrective steering needed. I would say the claims about much quicker reacting steering are definitely spot on. I didn't fish at all today but I spend several hours out bombing around both several miles out in the gulf and on the bay. I maneuvered in and around bridge pilings and other boats and felt pretty confident at all times. So I guess I'd have to give the TV"S a pretty solid thumbs up. I definitely have only good things to say about Will and crew down at Jet Boat Pilot. Good people!

Now transducer placement that's another subject. I questioned my placement from square one but since we were up against our travel deadline, I did it anyway. I'm golden up to about a whopping 10mph and then I lose the sonar. I'll have to re-think the whole matter once I get back home. That step in the hull is troublesome for a clean water flow at the transom.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did you put yours in the same place I mounted mine? They don't stick out below the boat do they? Not sure if saltwater would make a difference or because I am running 2 units its not picking up the distortion from the jet as much. I am still reading bottom at 29mph but thought about moving them further out just to see if that makes a difference.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Mine is out away from the jet just a little further than yours. Probably the next strake outward.
And yes, I'm below the transom just slightly. I'm not below the bottom of the hull though because that hull step is lower.

I may play with the angle a little but I won't be experimenting with different mount positions while down here.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did you install 2 or just one? I have thought about installing the little blocks that you can mount the transducers to. If I moved mine out would go high enough they just barely submerge when on plane. With my old bass boat mine never read over 10mph so getting it to read at 29mph may be good enough for me.