• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Streaming Television vs. DirecTV

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The thing that I am most annoyed with... Having to go find all my old remotes to each TV as most streaming (Apple/Roku/etc.) box remotes don't control the TV power and volume. :banghead:
Have you looked at or tried Harmony remotes (from Logitech)?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
WOW. Thanks @RightStuff I had no idea that the Harmony remotes worked with Apple TV and my MacBook/iMac/iPod. Looks like I have some more researching to do.

Strassenfest

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow! Never seen an upload speed faster than download! That would be great for some serious "lan" parties as we call it. All the new games hook to the internet so put 20 pc's in a room and suck up that internet!
I have a neighbor that's totally into gaming, he picked up the same setup just for that reason. I'm a diehard Seahawks fan stuck in Southern Indiana so I'm forced to watch games on my folks (Washington State) Dish Anywhere via internet... lots of streaming bandwidth!!

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I typically do. But without the intention/motivation to actually follow through with my cancelation threat. I end up with some sort of deal. Tonight I was extremely surprised when they never made a counter. Tossed out one offer and after I said, blah blah blah... they went straight to sending the boxes back!
They did the same thing after complaining about their prices, boxes are on the way to ship back the equipment.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had the Amazon FireStick for over a year now. Still have basic cable, internet, and phone. Will be pulling the plug on cable and phone real soon now that the firestick has proved worthwhile. I would suggest getting a FireStick that has been jail broken, which has everything. Phoenix and Exodus are my main sources I use to stream videos.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I would suggest getting a FireStick that has been jail broken, which has everything
These jail broke systems seem pretty cool. Unfortunately my career choice precludes me from using a system like that. :(

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just purchased the new AirTV from Echostar (aka Dish Network) to see what it is like. I'll report back after I use it for a bit.
Got the AirTV last night and I'm impressed so far after playing with it for a bit...

Pros:
- It has a nice and fast interface, setup was pretty easy to get it up and running as well, took longer to type in all the account info (Google, Sling, Netflix, etc.).
- Video quality has been good so far over WiFi at my house, I will be hard wiring it soon, but don't think it will be a huge difference based on where I have everything.
- Google Play store integration is really nice, supper easy to get more Android apps installed. I only installed a few streaming apps beyond the pre-installed ones (SlingTV, Netflix, YouTube).
- I found out yesterday you can install Android games and use a Bluetooth gaming controller. Pretty cool feature I didn't even think about knowing all the games out there, some will be fun to play on the big screen.
- Seems to be a lot of way to 'favorite' shows/channels/apps so they appear on the main home screen for quick access.
- Remote is easy to use, so the wife and kids will be happy about that. Nice big buttons for the main/home screen, Netflix, Google play store, and a mic for voice searching (via Google's voice search).
- More of a SlingTV thing than AirTV: There are some channels that offer a backlog of shows that were on in the last few days.

Cons:
- OTA channel integration is nice, but doesn't seem too easy to get to those channels. It's a single 'channel' in the list of the SlingTV channels, I would love to see a quicker link to get to it from the home screen or guide. EDIT: Just got off the phone with AirTV, sounds like there is a software update coming in Feb to make OTA channels easier to get to from the home screen.
- I will need one for each TV once I cut the cord on Dish, so a bit of an investment up front, but knew this going in too, so buyer beware I guess. :)
- Remote is easy to use, but doesn't appear to offer more advanced setup commands. For instance I would love to be able to change the input setting on my receiver from it. It looks like it just does power on/off for other devices. So I might have to keep a few other remotes floating around for some of those functions (or get another Harmony if there is support for the AirTV box from Logitech).
- No DVR (yet), sounds like it's coming, so will just have to wait and see when it comes. When it does that will be huge.

General cord cutter question:
How do you find what apps have which shows streaming? Anyone have any hints here beyond Googling it? Seems like once I have all these apps to deliver shows/movies it will be hard to determine which one to launch to watch a specific show, or does it just become 2nd nature after a bit?

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pulled the trigger on Directvnow but am waiting until after the Dayton basketball game tomorrow night to cancel my Directv service. Do they send you labels and such to send back any equipment?

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have newer boxes they will send you pre-paid ups/fedex box to send back to them. If they're the old style boxes, they'll tell you to keep them or toss them. There's tons of the older ones on ebay now

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I pulled the trigger on Directvnow but am waiting until after the Dayton basketball game tomorrow night to cancel my Directv service. Do they send you labels and such to send back any equipment?
The only thing with DTVNow so far has been during peek times I have been getting error q150... something. Can't connect to the channel. Switch the Channel and then back and it's back on.
Users on REddit have been discussion the same issue with no fix yet. Curious if you have notice that yet? I have only tried it on the Apple TV. Still need to get a few rokus for the other tv's.
One other thing. Say you want to go catch up on a complete season of a show on bravo (wife!) the on demand will only give you limited episodes. Not entire seasons. Luckily my dad has direct tv so I logged in under him on the network specific app and you then have everything. So the VOD is still somewhat limited.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only thing with DTVNow so far has been during peek times I have been getting error q150... something. Can't connect to the channel. Switch the Channel and then back and it's back on.
Users on REddit have been discussion the same issue with no fix yet. Curious if you have notice that yet? I have only tried it on the Apple TV. Still need to get a few rokus for the other tv's.
One other thing. Say you want to go catch up on a complete season of a show on bravo (wife!) the on demand will only give you limited episodes. Not entire seasons. Luckily my dad has direct tv so I logged in under him on the network specific app and you then have everything. So the VOD is still somewhat limited.
I don't have enough screen time with Directvnow other than to lock in the promo and get the freebie device coming my way. I debated going with Apple TV with the prepay deal but opted for stick so I have a consistent UI experience on upstairs and downstairs tvs. (I have firebox on other set) I might pick up another firebox if the wifi streaming with the free stick gets pokey.

We don't tend to watch much on demand other than hbo, AMC and Netflix offerings. I don't think Directvnow OD is going to be a problem for us. I'm hoping that my equipment is old enough that Directv just says keep or scrap it. I don't want to deal with shipping it all back.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have newer boxes they will send you pre-paid ups/fedex box to send back to them. If they're the old style boxes, they'll tell you to keep them or toss them. There's tons of the older ones on ebay now
We are still waiting on boxes, we cancelled our service almost two weeks ago, these are newer boxes, less than a year old.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have been very impressed with the Roku's, the picture is better than DirecTv, just getting used to where all of the channels are that we like to watch. It's nice saving a boat load of money after feeling ripped off from DirecTv so long.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ok, we have great hd tv available around here over air. There are a few channels we do watch that would be nice to watch and a few i wish we had but we have the second biggest cable package.
We like
HBO, TNT?, Lifetime, USA, FX.
Missing is the mythbusters channel. I think it's discovery or something.
I like Velocity as well.
The problem is Comcast won't offer me anything over 25mbps internet unless i get cable tv or home phone bundled. It would cost $79.99 a month just for that.

Currently have $135 for 75mbps internet, 220 channels and 2 hd tuner boxes for the tvs.
I already own a hdtv tuner box so that would be easy to put in but no antenna.
I own a playstation 3 that i believe can utilize the vue.
I need a new blue ray player but am looking at hooking up my old gaming pc on the bigger screen which i would stream the comcast stuff through. This eliminates 9.99 off my current package from returning a tuner box.

Someone propose me a package that works!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
What is your end game @Speedling? Are you trying to drastically improve the monthly $135 bill? Do you want to save a bunch or just shave some off the top? How important is it to keep all those mbps?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, we have great hd tv available around here over air. There are a few channels we do watch that would be nice to watch and a few i wish we had but we have the second biggest cable package.
I already own a hdtv tuner box so that would be easy to put in but no antenna.
My single greatest requirement for cutting the cord was to ensure dvr capability to record Young and the Restless for the wife.

I have had great success with this: https://www.tablotv.com/ as the dvr. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150324&cm_re=Tablo-_-15-150-324-_-Product

And the Mohu family of antennas. http://www.gomohu.com/ Also from newegg or Amazon.

I use the Amazon FireTV as the viewer. Also has apps for most of the content channels that you mentioned. But, you would need subscriptions. The FireTV, I would say is similar to a Roku, but I prefer having the cat5 connection over relying on my home wifi.

25mb package would be plenty, that's what I have, and rarely actually get that speed since my ISP blows. We use Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube apps for the majority of our viewing in addition to the Tablo.

1 downside is that grandma/babysitter never can work the tv after the kids go to bed. While they're up the 4 and 10yr old run the controls. So, we get home and grandma is still watching kid shows. Lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What is your end game @Speedling? Are you trying to drastically improve the monthly $135 bill? Do you want to save a bunch or just shave some off the top? How important is it to keep all those mbps?
Save money of course!
We do use the internet a good bit. At my old house we realized 10 was too little. We got cable and 25 and they kept upping the speed for free to the 75 speed. Same price as it was just more speed.
We have ditched the home phone but i guess that could be the package deal instead of the tv.