• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stress crack in console

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've got 2.5 hours on the boat and very happy so far. The fit and finish overall is good compared to other boats I've seen. I did notice a small stress crack near a hinge for the seat/hatch on the centre console. It looks like when the boat was assembled the hinge was placed with no load on the seat. As soon as there is weight on the seat, it compresses the rubber and flexes the hinge. Just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar.IMG_2267.jpgIMG_2266.jpg

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nope but i'll check real close now when I get home. The only hinge faliure I had was my anchor locker pulled the screws threw on one side when I flipped open in 2' seas. Its thru-bolted now like a real boat should be in the first place.

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks. I don't think its worthwhile fixing at this point until I see if it gets worse. I didn't really take a good look at the design of that hatch before but they really should have used beefier hinges. Any kind of weight on that seat in some chop puts alot of stress in that area.

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
They use Gemlux hardware. Good stuff.

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Took the windshield off and the crack is much bigger than I thought. The only way to fix it properly I think would be to lower the hinges to take the weight off them and to install some backing plates to better distribute the load.
IMG_2269.jpg IMG_2268.jpg

Attachments

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think I would contact dealer and Yamaha soon as possible. I would not want to fix that with only 2.5 hours.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Checked our boat out finally and found one small crack on one side.

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's no good. If you happen to have a picture that would be great. I want to show the dealer that it's a manufacturing issue and not something unique to my boat.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
From what I recall, the only part assembled on the boat is the console, so that would be on them unless it shipped that way. Either way, it's under warranty.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Mine is out of warranty.
I misunderstood. I thought with the number of hours?
If that's the case, maybe the fiberglass can be reinforced with a patch? I'm no expert on that but there has to a way to reinforce it like they repair the hull?
Hmmm....

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for posting the picture - exact same issue. I'm going to wait a bit to get it fixed to see whatever issues show up. I think the best way is to remove the hinges, repair the gelcoat, fill the existing holes, and re-mount the hinges lower so that the hatch is compressed aginst the weather stripping underneath. That way any load is carried by the seat and not the hinges.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for posting the picture - exact same issue. I'm going to wait a bit to get it fixed to see whatever issues show up. I think the best way is to remove the hinges, repair the gelcoat, fill the existing holes, and re-mount the hinges lower so that the hatch is compressed aginst the weather stripping underneath. That way any load is carried by the seat and not the hinges.
Post a few pics once you decide to go that way. Sounds like an involved project. Good luck!

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have several stress cracks on my boat. They are all in the gel coat so they are cosmetic, not structural. There's no way I'm spending money to fix them.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
You definitely should. It may be that someone at the dealer overtightened a screw or they received it that way from Yamaha. They're attention to detail is less than stellar. I sent my letter to the President this week. I'll post the result if and when I get it.

Ryan Knickerbocker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Anyone have any updates on this issue. I recently purchased an 18 190fsh and have about 4hrs on her. While cleaning the boat this weekend I noticed a similar stress crack.

jet_fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i also have stress/spider cracks on my 2016 190 sport. i have always seen them with all boats i have owned going back many years so im assuming its somewhat normal. im still withinn my 3 years of my YES coverage and will wait till my boating season ends to bring it to the dealer so they could assess and hopfully repair.

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I took my boat to a fiberglass repair / boat building shop and they had a look at it. Their opinion was the gelcoat crack was nothing to worry about and they felt the overall build quality of the hatch was pretty good compared to others. They did agree that the hinges are taking too much weight and are going to add some starboard to the lower leading edge of the hatch to help it carry the weight. I'm waiting for them to have some time and I'll post pictures once it's done.

Ryan Knickerbocker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice. So it may not be as structural as initially thought. Will the repair be covered under yamaha?