• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck in Reverse

Dolphin134

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha AR 240 (2020)

Hi Everyone
Today I pulled up onto a beach and let the kids play. A boat came by too fast and pushed the boat into a sand bar. So, (new at this) put it in reverse and tried getting it out. It was moving a little, so I pushed the throttle a little more. Then, it wasn't moving so I turned it off, but I left it in reverse. Now the engines won't turn over because it is in reverse. I have flushed it out and tried giggling it as much as possible. I even unhooked the cable that attaches to the covers and the cover won't raise. When it's unhooked I can put it in neutral and starts right up. Then, I even connected the cable back and it still won't come out of reverse.

Anyone have any suggestions or did I bend the cable and go to the dealer? Thanks

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha AR 240 (2020)

Hi Everyone
Today I pulled up onto a beach and let the kids play. A boat came by too fast and pushed the boat into a sand bar. So, (new at this) put it in reverse and tried getting it out. It was moving a little, so I pushed the throttle a little more. Then, it wasn't moving so I turned it off, but I left it in reverse. Now the engines won't turn over because it is in reverse. I have flushed it out and tried giggling it as much as possible. I even unhooked the cable that attaches to the covers and the cover won't raise. When it's unhooked I can put it in neutral and starts right up. Then, I even connected the cable back and it still won't come out of reverse.

Anyone have any suggestions or did I bend the cable and go to the dealer? Thanks
Great to hear it starts up. Have you checked for debris causing the gates to bind up? Also, do the throttles move fluidly without being connected?

Dolphin134

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I was happy it started up. The throttle moved fluidly with no problem when it wasn't connected. Good sign, right??? It was dark when we got home on the trailer, but I did feel a bunch of rocks on the bottom rim of both gates. So, I am thinking tomorrow to take off some bolts to loosen them, really get it all clear then I hope it goes out of reverse. Thoughts?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you’re back home. I suspect that wasn’t easy. Sounds like you’ll be just fine. I suspect you’ll find some debris. Just one small rock can bind it up. Keep us posted.

Dolphin134

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it fixed! There was so many rocks stuck behind both gates. So we loosened the bolts on each side then took a rubber mallet and tapped the bottom till they all fell out. Worked like a charm for both, boat is back in the water and worked great. Thank!!

MNJets

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Echoing my first post last year (2019 212X) in Sept, 2019 - I made every possible mistake in 8 hours with my first jet boat: sucking up a ski rope, sucking up a dock line and lastly sucking up rocks while trailering the boat out of the water. I thought the ramp was deep enough and hit reverse To reposition with quite a bit of throttle and sucked up a few pebbles which lodged the gates In the down position. I physically couldn’t move the throttles from reverse to neutral. So I mistakenly shut off both engines and could not get them restarted due to the inability to get the throttles back in neutral. Thankful to the wise people in this forum, I got towed 100 yards to the access at 2 mph to eliminate water being pushed up through the engines. We were able to get the rocks removed once on the trailer but it was frustrating. The school of hard knocks has made 2020 a fantastic year on the water.