• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sub install question

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Other than fiberglass and gelcoat, plywood is probably next on the list of materials in most boats.
There's no wood at all in the newer models...around 2017 I think they started using fiberglass stringers and aluminum backing plates.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's no wood at all in the newer models...around 2017 I think they started using fiberglass stringers and aluminum backing plates.
Not all boats are yamaha. Plywood is common material on boats, period. And a plywood backer board on a subwoofer should be of the least concern. It seems there are many other things to worry about on newer Yamaha boats than a plywood backer on a subwoofer.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not all boats are yamaha.
But this is a jetboat forum, centralized around Yamaha boats, so the implication is/was related to Yamaha boats. If not, it's at least a common concern.
Plywood is common material on boats, period.
Umm...no it's not...for many years. While it's true it was used for decades in older boats of many makes, it's pretty much been replaced with fiberglass stringers and/or aluminum plates.
And a plywood backer board on a subwoofer should be of the least concern. It seems there are many other things to worry about on newer Yamaha boats than a plywood backer on a subwoofer.
Like what exactly?
I have zero issues with my Yamaha...can you quantify common issues that we all experience?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up removing the wood bc it was vibrating against the fiberglass when I cut up the bass. Sounds better without it Maybe I did something wrong but I’m happy. I can’t get anywhere near my boat at half volume. My wife hates it. Hehe

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I ended up removing the wood bc it was vibrating against the fiberglass when I cut up the bass. Sounds better without it Maybe I did something wrong but I’m happy.
Did you drill and drive screws through to the plywood and "sandwich" the fiberglass between the sub and plywood? If properly tightened, it shouldn't vibrate at all - something was probably loose.
I can’t get anywhere near my boat at half volume. My wife hates it. Hehe
Same here...too loud and she can't talk over it, and I get the "turn it down" scowl.
:D

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I held the wood against the wall and ran the screws straight through both. I didn’t think the sub would sit flush against the wall if I put bolts behind it.

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had planned to use azek board behind it, but after cutting it out and trying to mount it, it worked better (from a mounting perspective) without it. I suppose there is slight weakness on the bench, but I can't imagine it is material (without bothering to calculate it). I couldn't find HDPE (and didn't think of just buying a cutting board from Walmart). The problem with Azek is it isn't the strongest material for screwing into. However, it did work fine for mounting my new 800 watt amp in the helm.