• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sub opinions

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i think im going with the memphis mxa5.750 amp for my 6 jl 6.5in speakers and sub. Question is would the jl 10ib5 ( having higher power rating) be better than 2 jl 10ib3 next to each other in parallel. It's not much more for 2 of the ib3's ($360) over the ib5 ($300)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Both are iB...infinite baffle woofers. I don't know if you can put two iB subs in a wall using the same airspace behind or not. That is the suspension air, and two may fight with each other a bit...or maybe not. But, the lower rated iB3 isn't going to be as clean or have the same capability of the iB5. The iB5 is an M class and the iB3 is an MX class, and there is a good bit of difference between them. If your really after big base, use 2 iB5's! But again, I don't know if it is best to put them in a cabinet that shares the same air load. I have had both the acoustic suspension and free air JL's in my boats. The enclosure was a big chore to build and house in the boat. You can buy an enclosure if you go the AS route, but it won't fit perfect. The one I built was custom built to fit my boat perfectly. But for what I gained in top end performance, I would have sacrificed to just go the iB route again. Be aware too, that buying from Sonic or other online sellers at a big discount, does not carry a manufacturers warranty.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I usually prefer 2 over one but there is surely a simplicity in a single sub. I am actually contemplating a single sub basically to free up some much needed space for storage. The twins give more punch typically though.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I usually prefer 2 over one but there is surely a simplicity in a single sub. I am actually contemplating a single sub basically to free up some much needed space for storage. The twins give more punch typically though.
I agree about the additional surface area @Speedling , but that MX iB3 isn't the same caliber as the M iB5

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both are iB...infinite baffle woofers. I don't know if you can put two iB subs in a wall using the same airspace behind or not. That is the suspension air, and two may fight with each other a bit...or maybe not. But, the lower rated iB3 isn't going to be as clean or have the same capability of the iB5. The iB5 is an M class and the iB3 is an MX class, and there is a good bit of difference between them. If your really after big base, use 2 iB5's! But again, I don't know if it is best to put them in a cabinet that shares the same air load. I have had both the acoustic suspension and free air JL's in my boats. The enclosure was a big chore to build and house in the boat. You can buy an enclosure if you go the AS route, but it won't fit perfect. The one I built was custom built to fit my boat perfectly. But for what I gained in top end performance, I would have sacrificed to just go the iB route again. Be aware too, that buying from Sonic or other online sellers at a big discount, does not carry a manufacturers warranty.
I was also contemplating going with an AS sub and building a box/enclosure. This is my first sub in a boat and im reading a lot of good things on the jl ib subs, but I've never heard one in person. Seems like you can get much better AS subs cheaper than the ib subs

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What is m vs mx class?
And where would u recommend buying from?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The m is a higher power speaker than the mx. Ironically, the mx650 has higher ratings than does the m line for a 6.5" speaker. That doesn't hold true as you get into larger drivers however.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You would have no issue with the two sharing airspace. But as others have said, I would go with the IB5. Then if you want more down the road - add another.