• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwing

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like fun for short periods of time. The "diver" would enjoy it but it's not an observable sport so doesn't include the laughs or pleasure of watching someone use it. Perhaps two at the same time might make more sense.

I can think of two potential safety related issues.

1) People might get deep let go losing the advantage of the wing bringing them to the surface. Or they might forget to let go, panic, and stay too deep. How many times have you watched someone hold onto a tow rope after they've failed to stand up on the wake board and you're yelling "Let go. let go."

2) It might be tempting to use SCUBA with the Subwing to greatly extend underwater time. That would be a bad idea. SCUBA requires controlled ascents. Breath hold diving does not require controlled ascents. I did SCUBA for 20 years. Being 25 feet underwater is pretty deep for someone not used to that kind of diving.

Also $895 seems a bit extreme.

I notice the young man wasn't wearing a life jacket...

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would be fun. That technology has been used for underwater searches. The $895 seem steep when you could make an ugly one out of plywood and a file in 3 beer (a beer is a variable unit of time). Cam.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like shark bate to me! :nailbiting:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I built a simple wing and first used it on the 2011 Bimini trip. I took it on the 2014 Bimini trip but did not use it. It takes some practice to get good at it. For my wing the optimum speed was about 6 to 8 mph. It is made out of a pressure treated 2" x 12" and shaped like an airplane wing.

20140810_131144[1].jpg

20140810_131207[1].jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats cool. I rest my case. How many beer to build? Cam

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thats cool. I rest my case. How many beer to build? Cam
I actually built 2 of these and if I remember, too many beers in between, I think it was a 4 beer project or 2 beers per wing.