• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer comparison Wet Sounds vs JL anyone hear both?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i will admit it, I have a equipment addiction lol, so I have decided to switch my set up again. I currently have 4 Polk db651 and a Alpine Type R marine subwoofer, powered by a Polk PA D4000.4 amp and a JBL GTX500 amp. I decided to switch to Wet Sounds Xs-650's, which also came as a package with a WS HT2 amp which I will now use as a sub amp, and I got a sweet deal on a WS Syn DX4 so I will swap out the Polk. Now this is leaving me wondering if I want to swap out the Type R.. I'm not that impressed with it, it adds bass, but it's not overly deep, nor very loud, but... I'm also a car audio nut, and have had ridiculous systems in the past. So I am wondering if anyone has heard both the XS 10-FA and the JL MIB5, and which one was preferred.

Both will be powered by the HT2 bridged. Though if I get the XS I may get the 2ohm and use one channel.

Please don't recommend a non IB sub, I know they are better, but I want to keep all the storage I have.

Any opinions is appreciated. Thanks!

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Probably need to compare the specs to see if it's worth swapping out the alpine

More then likely I wouldn't expect much difference in low-end extension, might need to look at the enclosure itself vs swapping speakers.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
JL Audio makes the better sounding infinite baffle subwoofer in the M series. Although I still might consider the Wetsounds for matching cosmetics. But I wouldn't consider the 2-ohm version if running a 2-channel amplifier. Keep it bridged into a 4-ohm load so that you have twice as many output devices with each device working half as hard. The HT2 will be too much power in any case, however, you can tune it to an output voltage that corresponds with a targeted safe wattage.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I was to use the 2 ohm Wet Sounds it would be on 1 channel of the HT2. It would receive the 300 watts the sub was rated for. I live near ABT, I may call them and see if they have a Revo and JL available to demo (since the Revo replaced the XS)

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
If I was to use the 2 ohm Wet Sounds it would be on 1 channel of the HT2. It would receive the 300 watts the sub was rated for. I live near ABT, I may call them and see if they have a Revo and JL available to demo (since the Revo replaced the XS)
Yes, I gathered that from your first post, but you missed the part about using all output devices thereby running each device half as hard.... and taking full advantage of the entire amplifier. That which runs the most conservatively, always sounds the best....and never more true than with subs and sub amplifiers. Also, with use of one-channel only on an amplifier that has no summing provisions, how would sum L & R to the sub, and how would you account for the gain inequity of dividing the source voltage differently for L & R?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I gathered that from your first post, but you missed the part about using all output devices thereby running each device half as hard.... and taking full advantage of the entire amplifier. That which runs the most conservatively, always sounds the best....and never more true than with subs and sub amplifiers. Also, with use of one-channel only on an amplifier that has no summing provisions, how would sum L & R to the sub, and how would you account for the gain inequity of dividing the source voltage differently for L & R?
?? Not sure I am following you here. What do you mean by using all output devices only half as hard and that having an effect? The 4 channel amp will be running 4 channels in stereo mode and the HT2 will be connected to rear channels of the CMD8 which I have put into subwoofer mode, which then only sends a low pass Mono signal to the amp. It will run fine, people have been doing that in car audio for decades.

Also there is no such thing as a gain inequity between the L and R channels of an amp. You can have issues with SOUND if a STEREO signal is being used on subwoofers and you are using a single channel. But that has nothing to do with the gain or input voltage.