• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer Insulation/Foam

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Is anyone using any kind of insulation or foam behind their factory or installed subs for better sound? If so what?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would be shocked if you, or anyone were able to hear the difference, if any.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You are probably right, I had kind of the same thought too. But little inexpensive projects keep me from going stir crazy when I'm not working.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If your subs are IB... you could work on solidifying the baffle they are mounted to.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have the factory sub in your 242x then I would recommend the following options based on my experience of fully sealing in my subs on both sides.

Option A -Swap for IB and follow @ Adrian recommendation for beefing up the mounting surface.

Option B
-Swap for an 1040 MM sub
- Give the mm sub more power from a dedicated amp and/or add a second sub to the other side
- Spray foam with max expanding foam to seal up that area and reduce to 0.6 cuft
- Ensure to leave a channel for water to drain at the bottom with tubing
- Attach tubing to cup holders so they drain outside of the sealed enclosure
- Beef up the mounting surface from behind
- Line it all with MLV as an added measure to ensure fully sealed and reduce the unwanted deflection resonance of the outer hull
- Skip the epoxy step I did as that was a mess with little added benefit on that side of the boat but was need on the starboard side where I have my other sub.

Option B is a lot more work. That said on this past weekends trip my neighbor who is a life long home theater audio geek had lots of compliments on how clean and tight everything sounded.