• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Successful caster mod

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried unsuccessfully earlier in the year to get my boat in the garage at our lake house, but found the door was trim lowered the height to about 6'11". With the caster mod in place, I came in at about 3/4" too tall with the tower mounts. After thinking about it for a few months, I thought to try removing the front trailer tires, giving me a pivot point further back.

That seemed to do the trick, even though I still just barely squeaked under the door. I couldn't get the front tires back on in the garage (opener), but put bottle jacks on each side of the trailer to relieve some of the stress on the rear axle.

Before:
image.jpg

During:
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Persistence pays off.

Way to think outside the box!

Nice.

Could you just deflate the front trailer tires instead of remove them? If so You could probably reinflate them once the boat is in the garage to avoid using the jacks entirely.

I tried deflating the front tires on my failed attempt earlier this summer and ran into some issues with it.

1. It took incredibly long do deflate and inflate the tires again. I can remove/reinstall the tires fairly quickly.
2. Even when deflated, it didn't drop the trailer enough due to the rims.
3. The deflated tires created more resistance and several of us were unable to push the boat. I was able to get it in the garage myself with the tires removed.

This is definitely not something I'd want to do every week, but it'll work for free winter storage.

Back