• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up a rope, got it out, but can’t engage forward or reverse

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey y’all. Total noob boater here that could really use your help. We sucked up a tow rope last night and got it out, but minutes later the boat would not engage in forward or reverse drive? We got a tow and are now trying to figure out a fix. Boat is out of the water, and I can’t get it into a shop until July 11th at best. Vacation planned for this Sunday, June 28 through July 5. Trying to get this fixed ASAP. It’s a 2020 Yamaha AR190. What’s ya think?

Thanks I’m advance for the ideas and advice!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@HELP
Welcome @WetWilly using the 'help' tag will get a quick response. there are numerous members part of that tag and will chime in here soon.

Are you able to move your buckets at all?

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe a piece of rope stuck between the bucket and the nozzle keeping the bucket from moving.
Such a freaking noob here. What’s the bucket and the nozzle? And what do I need to do to check?

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Such a freaking noob here. What’s the bucket and the nozzle? And what do I need to do to check?
The bucket is the piece that moves over your jet nozzle, the nozzle is where the jet forces the water out of to direct the thrust. Inspect all around that for additional debris that is preventing the bucket from moving. The engine and bucket are not mutually exclusive to one another.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check all the pieces attached to the bucket/nozzle. Good chance the rope got wrapped around something as it was sucked in, and it's bent/mangled/messed up.

Here's what you're looking at:

1593194681263.png

See the cable at the top. There is another one on the far side from this picture (drivers side of the boat). Make sure those are still secured and not bent.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also you could have someone on the outside of the boat help the bucket move while someone is on the inside moving the throttle. Forward throttle, lift up on the bucket. Don’t force the throttle.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @2kwik4u knew someone would have a pic...

1593195181505.png

1. Jet pump/nozzle
2. Bucket
3. Articulating keel
4. Connecting rod

Also make sure your connecting rod for the bucket didn't get bent somehow.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the rope was attached to the back of the boat when it got sucked into the pump, odds are pretty good either the reverse bucket or the linkage for it got bent/damaged. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @2kwik4u knew someone would have a pic...

View attachment 124067

1. Jet pump/nozzle
2. Bucket
3. Articulating keel
4. Connecting rod

Also make sure your connecting rod for the bucket didn't get bent somehow.
This is above and beyond. Thanks so much for sharing. Love it. I’m such a freaking noob. All it was was the clean out lock. It was loose and preventing the bucket from moving to allow thrust. Duh. That was a water tow bill lesson, but the dude was super cool and went ez on me.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t understand, what’s a cleanout lock?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cleanout plug was not secure/locked? That wouldn’t affect the bucket but you wouldn’t have thrust/speed. What year boat? I ask since I’m wondering if you have the newer screw-locking plugs

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I am obviously not calling it the right thing, but I was referring to the cylindrical part that locks in place under the back deck. The piece that you can remove to gain access to the “impeller drive shaft” (probably not calling that the right thing either). I had removed that so that I could unwind the rope that was wrapped around the shaft. While on the water I had some trouble getting it locked back into place. Super easy to do on land, but much harder to do in the water. It’s a 2020 Yamaha AR190.

If that part is not locked in securely, the boat will not even start. But I did get it locked in (obviously not well enough) after I cleared the rope off all the components. Problem was, it came loose and popped out. This effected the ability to get forward and reverse thrust, hence the boat wouldn’t move. Problem was, since the boat was still running, I assumed that the clean out must have still be locked in place and didn’t check it again until the boat was pulled out of the water and on the trailer. I popped that back in, took it for a test run on Lake Sammamish (WA) last night, and we are good to go!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I am obviously not calling it the right thing, but I was referring to the cylindrical part that locks in place under the back deck. The piece that you can remove to gain access to the “impeller drive shaft” (probably not calling that the right thing either). I had removed that so that I could unwind the rope that was wrapped around the shaft. While on the water I had some trouble getting it locked back into place. Super easy to do on land, but much harder to do in the water. It’s a 2020 Yamaha AR190.

If that part is not locked in securely, the boat will not even start. But I did get it locked in (obviously not well enough) after I cleared the rope off all the components. Problem was, it came loose and popped out. This effected the ability to get forward and reverse thrust, hence the boat wouldn’t move. Problem was, since the boat was still running, I assumed that the clean out must have still be locked in place and didn’t check it again until the boat was pulled out of the water and on the trailer. I popped that back in, took it for a test run on Lake Sammamish (WA) last night, and we are good to go!

Goo to hear. Fyi - the cleanout plugs being unlocked or out does not keep the engine from running. What does keep the engine from running is the hatch over those plugs as there is a safety switch that kills the engine if that hatch is open.

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes sense. ;)
Thank you!

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At least you got the "sucked up a rope" out of the way.

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Indeed. Not a fun task while you are being slammed in the waves and under the back of the boat in deep water. Live and learn. Thanks.

WetWilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cleanout plug was not secure/locked? That wouldn’t affect the bucket but you wouldn’t have thrust/speed. What year boat? I ask since I’m wondering if you have the newer screw-locking plugs
2020 AR190. New screw-lock kind, but a bitch to clamp down when you are in the water. Easy as pie on land.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2020 AR190. New screw-lock kind, but a bitch to clamp down when you are in the water. Easy as pie on land.
Try putting a little silicone lube spray on the plugs. I got the same clean out ports, I take the plugs out after every use, drain them, and set them back in the port upside down, prevents the rubber from expanding and making them impossible to remove. Well I forgot to put them back in one day, was just as easy putting them in on the water than on land. Granted I was in a super calm marina.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust I think you mean you place the clean out plugs sideways on top of the hole, correct?