• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sugar sand, heat

JimH1950

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just purchased a 1996, sugar sand, heat nice-looking vote ran good previous owner said he left town to work when he came back his boat ran like a dog he's any change the plugs still ran red after I purchased I brought it home parked it in the back when for some lunch. Came back out. Open the gas filler lid because it was leaking and it gushed out about 3 inches high. A lot of pressure wondering could something be plugged up causing this bad running scenario. Any help would be of blessing on the new kid on the block, so if you can help

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check the fuel tank vent. There should be no internal pressure in the tank.
If the vent is blocked and it did not have a positive pressure ( like yours would after the cap was removed and replaced) it would not feed fuel correctly either.

JimH1950

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for your prompt reply I checked under the filler cap the little vent hole does not seem to be plugged with the next course of action be removing the fuel pump

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On a boat there should be a separate vent and hose to the hull.
Some have that vent hose going close to the filler or built into it, but a second vent none the less.
There is no way to build up enough pressure to push out the fuel if there is a vent that is open.

JimH1950

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So, how would I check for obstruction other than pushing a small wire down the little hole

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Look at the tank for three hoses, one the fuel filler hose, one small going to the engine and carbs and the third to the fuel tank vent.
The little hole is likely not the actual vent.
You could try to blow through the vent in the cap.

JimH1950

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Okay I have another compressor. I'll give it a small shot of their thanks for the heads up on this. I hope you and your family are doing well in this time of unrest

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best wishes to you and yours.
Look for the three hoses from the tank. Most have them.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
If you have a vent/filler cap combination fitting on the outside of the boat hull, like this one:

IMG_0302.jpg
There is a screen inside the vent portion. If you take the hoses off the back of the filler, you can blow in them to see if the vent hose is clear.
If you pull the whole thing off the side of the boat you can probably blow through the vent circuit to check that.
Not sure how it works exactly but it somehow vents the tank with minimal spillage.