• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sugarsand Tango for 1st boat? Reliable or no?

Jaredbarn24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I’m seriously debating buying this 2005 sugarsand tango .... clean as a pin out of Florida ..... wondering if it’s a reliable boat & and if i should worry about having to put a lot of extra money into it? Any help appreciated

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it runs, enjoy it. Check to see which SportJet engine and pump are in it. If you are not handy with a wrench, find a mechanic who will service it if you need help. Otherwise, find a service manual.

Mercury SportJets are very reliable when taken care of. That being said, if something fails, support and parts are a little slim. They are out there, but not cheap.

The boat itself is not an issue, the powertrain is what is important to understand

Good luck.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
If it runs...find a service manual.
Mercury SportJets can be reliable when taken care of.
Support and parts are slim, but not cheap.
HAHA! I "modified" your post a little Biff, hope you don't mind!

My advice Jared is this, it's a 15 YO boat. It doesn't matter how well cared for or how pristine it is, stuff goes wrong. Owning it will be a challenge. If you're A) comfortable around wrenches and DVOM's, or B) wealthy enough to pay someone trustworthy and skilled enough to keep it running, go for it. If you're C) neither, find something newer/less obscure. That said, I really love my Mirage, quirks and all, and there's plenty of genuinely sharp Sugar Sand/Sport Jet owners here that are only too eager to help. Best of luck!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, if you're comfortable tackling jobs yourself buy it!

If you're going to be using a mechanic to fix anything be sure they're on board and comfortable working on it before you buy it. If it breaks and then you look for a mechanic you could end up in real trouble,

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
HAHA! I "modified" your post a little Biff, hope you don't mind!
No issues at all. My experience was just that. But after 5-6 years with a 240EFI Sportjet, the fear of something bad happening got to me and I sold it while it was still in great working order.

Being a 2005, the Tango supersport came with the 240EFI, and I saw the Tango extreme 210 that year as well. It literally is an outboard powerhead mounted to a SportJet pump. So a good Merc mechanic should have no issues working on it. But it's a jetboat, and many will not even open it up and shrug you off like the red-headed stepchild.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
If you're going to be using a mechanic to fix anything be sure they're on board and comfortable working on it before you buy it.
So true! I have a very reputable place near me, Michigan Marine Gear, that'll work on about anything EXCEPT SportJets. Heck, Barb the parts-counter person will pull whatever you need for your 1970's Mercruiser 1 outdrive off the shelf without even looking at the book. However, she said Mercury's discontinuation of critical parts for the SportJet puts them in a trick bag - if they start on a job, they may not be able to complete it. They'd rather you take your money and boat elsewhere.