• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Suggestions on fender/tie-line kit for 165

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Looking to buy a fender/tie-line kit for my 165 so I can stop by a Marina for food and/or refueling. It seems the cylindrical type traditional fender buoys won't work too well with the 165 since the distance between the cleats and the rub rail is so short.

Any suggestions for a kit with a pair of fender buoys and tie lines that will work well for my 165?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I tried various things over the years for my 165. I've settled on the combination of these (Amazon Canada link): Amazon.ca

Along with folding PWC fenders such as these: https://a.co/d/bIxLUUF

Just make sure to rinse the suction cups in the water and wipe quickly with one hand to make sure there's no sand. They suction quickly and hold very well. And you can position them exactly where you need them for any weird dock. The fenders fold over the rub rail perfectly as well.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The Mission fenders do look great, but they won't work on a 165 because of the cleat position in the context of what this person is asking. They would work well on the dock though if you wanted to use them there assuming the dock has cleats or attachment points at the correct position.

The 165 is a difficult boat when it comes to fenders because of its much shorter span along with the curvature. In fact, the Ontario Provincial Police here in Canada have at least three 165s in their fleet. I've noted they installed cleats where there are none to counter this exact problem. It's another option... but IMO pretty ugly since you have to add more cleats around the boat.

Last edited:

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, that's too bad. Yes, using them on the dock would work. Just don't want to forget them when you leave the dock :oops:

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wish the mission ones worked in your situation, I second wavejunkie they are amazing bumpers.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should be able to hang you fenders horizontally and sit just under the rub rail. Good option if you already own some fenders.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I tried various things over the years for my 165. I've settled on the combination of these (Amazon Canada link): Amazon.ca

Along with folding PWC fenders such as these: https://a.co/d/bIxLUUF

Just make sure to rinse the suction cups in the water and wipe quickly with one hand to make sure there's no sand. They suction quickly and hold very well. And you can position them exactly where you need them for any weird dock. The fenders fold over the rub rail perfectly as well.
Thanks Luc! So you just pop the suction cups on the top rail and attach the fenders directly to the fenders? Then I could use the 2 ropes that come with the fenders to tie off the boat to the dock via the built in cleats?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yes. I'm fact, the stern suction cup, I usually position on the engine hatch front left corner. I find the extra height better. But this allows you to put them exactly where you need them for each dock.

And yes, if the ropes are long enough for your purposes, it will work.

Just make sure to train your ship mates to wipe the suction cup and.boat surface once with their wet hand to remove grit. Then it will clamp solidly.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Yes. I'm fact, the stern suction cup, I usually position on the engine hatch front left corner. I find the extra height better. But this allows you to put them exactly where you need them for each dock.

And yes, if the ropes are long enough for your purposes, it will work.

Just make sure to train your ship mates to wipe the suction cup and.boat surface once with their wet hand to remove grit. Then it will clamp solidly.
Thank so much Luc, ordered via Amazon..