• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Supercharger for 165 (150 hp) stock engine add-on.

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was told by my dealer some of the drivetrain is different between the 2 models

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
One would simply need to determine if the longblocks (including valvetrain) are identical between the three engines. I'm assuming they are not, but it is possible that the are. If they are, you would need to obviously pick up the supercharger, intercooler, intake piping, mass air meter, and ecu (you could probably flash the oem supercharged calibration to it, but often times it's not the same ecu. The ECU (if new) would need paired to your instrument cluster and possibly your keys as well. This is all best case scenario. The most likely case is that brp uses a lighter (and weaker) rotating assembly in the naturally aspirated engine models to improve throttle response, increase power, and reduce cost. It is also probable that the camshafts and valvetrain is different as the n/a engines do not rev as high.

Attempting to supercharge the engine that was not designed to be supercharged by the OEM is absolutely possible, however, you will see a serious reduction in engine life. Most likely catastrophic failure of a piston, rings, or connecting rod. It is possible to have the engine live a long life in some over engineered applications but you need to be very careful with the setup. Nothing can be on the ragged edge of it's duty cycle. I'll list some things to consider: Fuel pump and fuel injectors. You do not want to exceed 80% duty cycle at max rpm. Short block. Most of the time the connecting rods and even pistons are up to the task of handling more power than what they are do in stock form provided you don't see the slightest bit of detonation (pre-ignition). This will eat even the strongest rotating assemblies apart. Mass air meter: The mass air meter must not reach it's maximum voltage at any time, in any weather. If it does, you will most likely see catastrophic engine failure. Valve springs: If they are not the same as the OEM supercharged versions, you are playing with fire if you increase the engine rpm into the 8000's.

It can be done. Anything can be done. It may be easy, it may not be. You're first step should be comparing part numbers for the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, rings, camshafts, valve springs, intake manifold, engine block, fuel injectors, fuel pump, and ECU. If those are a match, it's a walk in the park. If not, I do not recommend it. It will cost a pretty penny, and you'll probably worry about pushing it too hard (and you should) to enjoy it. If you do hurt it, and you will eventually, your wallet will get even lighter.

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Smashedheadcat for breaking down my request technically.Right now I am new to boating and with my Scarab 165. Will just keep it stock as I don't want to reduce my engines life and get a feel for things.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My pleasure. Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but I'd rather you be as informed as possible before making the jump to forced induction. With that said, if you've got some extra cash and a desire to go fast, you could ultimately build something far more powerful than the OEM 250hp variant. If you do it right, it will be pretty reliable as well.

Jbingham

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I looked into this also, we decided it would be much easier to just sell the boat and buy the 250hp one in our case.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
These two boats couldn't be so different. One sinks, the other rides flawlessly for years.
You are not helping anyone or anything with your snide remarks, and in my opinion it is down right rude and unprofessional.