• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surf and wake board holder DIY

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, I saw someone had made one of these to hold their surf boards and wake boards during transport. A fantastic idea (credit to whomever it was). I decided to try it out and it was quick and easy. I put together a quick vid on why/how it went together and where to store it. I had posted clips on the FB jetboaters page, what a bunch of absolute fucking idiots on that page, I won't be posting anything on that page again. Seriously, I have no idea how some of those people operate a boat. Thank God none of them live/boat near me. Anyway, here ya go. Again, thanks to the individual who first came up with the idea. I tried to search it, but couldn't find who it was.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good idea, thanks for posting it and the video,

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What’s your total length of pipe and how many T’s, etc? Do you have a full parts list for your rack of 4? I definitely want to do this!!! If so, I’ll swing by Lowe’s on the way home tonight.

I had all my boards in the back of my truck this weekend and it just takes too much space. I’ve got 3 surf boards and a Zup board.

That original was @buckbuck s video, too. :)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You had me curious about the FB post so I went to look for it just to see what they said. Never could find it, though. :)

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You had me curious about the FB post so I went to look for it just to see what they said. Never could find it, though. :)
I removed it, as well as the majority of my posts from that site. Just measure the width of you seats and the length (I think I went 50" on the length and about 28" width). It was about 50 ft of 10', 1/2" pipe and then maybe another 15 ft (5 footers) of 1/2. I used 8 of the "corner" 3 connect pieces and 12 of the "star" 4 hole pieces. Then I used 12 of the 1/2", 90 degrees for the ends. The increment between the verticals was 4". I used the 1/2" tubing because the water noodles slid perfectly over the tubing, just ad to cut to length. I hope you can get a close up on the attachments. If not, let me know, I would have to get it out of the boat and take more pics.IMG_7298.JPGIMG_7300.JPGIMG_7309.JPGIMG_7306.JPGIMG_7307.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I saw someone had made one of these to hold their surf boards and wake boards during transport. A fantastic idea (credit to whomever it was). I decided to try it out and it was quick and easy. I put together a quick vid on why/how it went together and where to store it. I had posted clips on the FB jetboaters page, what a bunch of absolute fucking idiots on that page, I won't be posting anything on that page again. Seriously, I have no idea how some of those people operate a boat. Thank God none of them live/boat near me. Anyway, here ya go. Again, thanks to the individual who first came up with the idea. I tried to search it, but couldn't find who it was.

Nice!
It was @buckbuck.
Agree on the FB.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Then, when you get where you’re going, do you take the whole contraption out and put in truck? Or disassemble and stow in boat?

I can see that being a bit of a hassle to reassemble every time. But, I’m really envisioning this as a fix for long hauls. Most of my tows are about 5 miles and not an issue.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Then, when you get where you’re going, do you take the whole contraption out and put in truck? Or disassemble and stow in boat?

I can see that being a bit of a hassle to reassemble every time. But, I’m really envisioning this as a fix for long hauls. Most of my tows are about 5 miles and not an issue.
Measure the height of you pickup (truck bed to bottom of the tannau cover) and make it a couple inches below that. For instance, mine is about 21" from bottom to cover so I cut mine down to about 19" to fit inside the bed when not needed at the lake. Stored away and secure. You could, however put it inside your truck if you have a crewcab. Taking it apart would be a pain every time so I figured if I could stow it, better.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the credit guys but I stole the idea from somebody a long time ago on the YamahaJetboaters.com site. @PJ73 your handiwork is much prettier than mine.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got my parts tonight and measured a few things. And started assembly. I shortened my long pieces to 48” based on @PJ73 pic of his wakeboards barely sitting in the cradle.

2 surf boards fit fine. My big board is too long and the Zup doesn’t fit right. It’s also too long and the feet pads are too thick.

I’m going to think through this over night and lengthen 2 of my slots after getting some additional fittings tomorrow.

I also went w 4” between slots, I might see if I can widen these same 2. But, I’m not exactly sure how wide the boat is, so may need to experiment with that.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got my parts tonight and measured a few things. And started assembly. I shortened my long pieces to 48” based on @PJ73 pic of his wakeboards barely sitting in the cradle.

2 surf boards fit fine. My big board is too long and the Zup doesn’t fit right. It’s also too long and the feet pads are too thick.

I’m going to think through this over night and lengthen 2 of my slots after getting some additional fittings tomorrow.

I also went w 4” between slots, I might see if I can widen these same 2. But, I’m not exactly sure how wide the boat is, so may need to experiment with that.
If your Zup is too thick, then change the "width" pieces just on that one slot to maybe 5" or 6" and reserve that spot for the Zup. You'll have to make all 4 pieces for that spot the same length in order for it to fit. Look at making the wake portions maybe an inch more narrow if you're running into "total width" issues. Otherwise, trim the noodles down to make room. Until you set it in place, you can make all the adjustments you need. Can't wait to see what you did.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Abe. Mine is cut down to fit and glued together. Fits for storage. Advice. When you’re glueing, remember to slide the noodles over and then put into place, my 4 corners I glued and then looked back and said, awe shit! So I had to slice those and wrap around the post

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Abe. Mine is cut down to fit and glued together. Fits for storage. Advice. When you’re glueing, remember to slide the noodles over and then put into place, my 4 corners I glued and then looked back and said, awe shit! So I had to slice those and wrap around the post
View attachment 97218
Did you try not gluing it? I wasn’t planning on it, but maybe I should if it wont stand up to the stress.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you try not gluing it? I wasn’t planning on it, but maybe I should if it wont stand up to the stress.
I glued. It kept falling apart whenever I would grab it. I figured, meh, why not.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks cool. I have a bunch of old crap so i don't care if it gets scratched or dinged. I just pile it wherever. I think my wakeboard is a 1993 blindside. I made something like that to keep water from pooling on my cover before i had covered storage.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I glued. It kept falling apart whenever I would grab it. I figured, meh, why not.
Yeah, I’m seeing that now. Ran out of time for this trip, but may glue for next time.

I have plenty of noodles, but haven’t quite decided whether the verticals or short horizontals are necessary.

I went 48” on the 2 interior slots, which is a little tight on the 5’ 3” Coaster. The 5’ 0 Fish is narrow enough it slides right in. The Coaster has a bit more girth. The long slots are 60”. Inner are 4” wide and one large is 6.5” and the other is 5” (if I remember right).

I’ll write up my parts list after I see how this works.

B6A37957-D7AB-4C83-A34E-828CA93F36C7.jpeg77FF2010-768D-474E-B6EB-C85509C38D83.jpeg