• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Surfboard selection help

Doug Kline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Pretty well-versed in ocean surfing/surfboards, but clueless what to look for when it comes to behind the boat. We were out a few times and still working out the wake, but I wanted to make sure the boards weren’t holding us back. This is what came with the boat, liquid force 5’4” x 20.8 and 5’ x 20.2. My son is 5’10 140 and I’m about 6’ 170. What I’m looking for primarily is it board with good push. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7129.jpeg
    IMG_7129.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 3
I'm not familiar with Liquid Force boards ( I know the brand just not their wakesurf gear ) but from a fellow life long ocean surfer who has been purchasing wake surf boards like they were candy bars, those look like Hybrid style boards (maybe surf style) with what looks like compressed fiberglass shells. The lengths should be fine for you and your son to surf ropeless with a proper wake or just have fun on with a rope. As an aggressive long boarder in the ocean, I prefer the hybrid style boards myself as they have tend to have a little the extra float (6'1"@ 185) and the maneuverability of a skim. I also like our slingshot skim style that came with our boat but it doesn't wow me either. Honestly I don't usually notice a huge difference in the boards, some are a little more squirrelly, some are a little more stable, some are looser without being squirrelly, etc but they all surf well. The biggest difference I notice is when I ride any of the thick plastic shell boards. The couple I've ridden handle fine but just seem to drag in the water and make it near impossible to go ropeless behind a Yamaha 212x.

I'd suggest getting used to towing at proper speeds, dialing your wake, and having fun. If you find yourself getting bored because you aren't progressing or something, watch how to wakesurf videos on youtube. I watch everything from beginner vids to advance tricks and pick up new little tips all the time. For instance as a ocean surfing modern long boarder, I have a tendency to be way too relaxed and open with my shoulders on a wakesurf board. It's totally fine when I have the ocean behind me but behind a boat on a 5'ish board, you need to be squared up with your front shoulder forward at all times.

For boards, boardco.com has several videos on youTube that go over the differences in tail, nose mid section shapes as well as fins, construction, and more. Great resource for board geeking! Phase Five also has some vidoes where they review their new season shapes and how they handle and why. I'm personally a Hyperlite fanboy but once I find a brand I like, I tend to stick with it. HO Sports (Hyperlite) customer service has also been baller the one time I had to deal with them.

Oh! Get a comfortable snug fitting CGA neoprene life vests for you and your son.

Thanks for the thoughtful response! Will definitely take everything you said into account.

Back