• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Rescue at Sea from 2017

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
........We were really amazed by everyone jumping in to offer help. This goes along with the story above. Human nature kicks in when it is time and you do what you have to help others!
I think there is also a "we're all in this together" mentality among boaters in general. I've never met another group of people with the same general guiding principles as boaters. If you own and operate a boat it's almost a guarantee that have either given or received aid from another boater at some point in time. That is a broad statement, but worth consideration as a concept I think. The mentality that drives one to buy a boat and take on such risks, also tends to drive one to offer aid quickly. I know I've been quick to help strangers, and have accepted the quick offer of help from others, although thankfully not in a life/death situation such as those described here.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice work and write up.

Without doing an exhaustive search here, is there a good reference as to general rules to radio use? Registration, licenses or certifications? And also some radio best practices when traveling on unfamiliar waters?

We hope to do some time on Lake Superior, and Lake of the Woods. Since we have a radio and large mast antennae, we may as well be prepared to use it if needed.

This may be a good topic for a whole new thread.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah agreed - seaweed clearly makes a big difference to MPG/GPH. In fact, on our return this year I switch my gauges to show GPH as it was a great way to monitor (in conjunction with speed) how the boat was running/burning fuel. With weeds in the impeller it required a lot more gas to keep a set speed...as in going from something like 7 gph to over 10!

@swatski - Bruce and I have discussed requiring members of "the group" to have their boats inspected before joining the group, but the problem with this is the implied liability we'd take on if something happened. It is also a LOT more work and PITA!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah agreed - seaweed clearly makes a big difference to MPG/GPH. In fact, on our return this year I switch my gauges to show GPH as it was a great way to monitor (in conjunction with speed) how the boat was running/burning fuel. With weeds in the impeller it required a lot more gas to keep a set speed...as in going from something like 7 gph to over 10!

@swatski - Bruce and I have discussed requiring members of "the group" to have their boats inspected before joining the group, but the problem with this is the implied liability we'd take on if something happened. It is also a LOT more work and PITA!
considered to require a waiver too? I bet a lawyer in the forum will be willing to write something up so the Jetboaters.net and group leaders can use to shield themselves from bad apples.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely! Any cavitation will totally ruin fuel economy.
Not much one can do about seaweed (Sargassum in this case) but there are ways to improve pumps' efficiency (= better fuel economy). Starts with good impellers, sealing the tunnel, then adding L13 etc. - can really help.

There is no way, you can not be a babysitter. @Bruce has already gone ABOVE AND BEYOND to help, advice, provide info, and make the trip possible for many, and planning for it fairly strait forward, if you ask me.

--

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Absolutely! Any cavitation will totally ruin fuel economy.
Not much one can do about seaweed (Sargassum in this case) but there are ways to improve pumps' efficiency (= better fuel economy). Starts with good impellers, sealing the tunnel, then adding L13 etc. - can really help.

There is no way, you can not be a babysitter. @Bruce has already gone ABOVE AND BEYOND to help, advice, provide info, and make the trip possible for many, and planning for it fairly strait forward, if you ask me.

--
Agreed ... Although perhaps we should threaten random inspections for new to the group members! LOL Bimini trip police. LOL.

Perhaps a self attestation ... "I promise my boat is in full working order..... If it isn't, my wife will sink it!"

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am glad I read this thread. I had already told myself "Be prepared enough to cross alone" and this reinforces it... I will be a first timer next year and will be SURE to have this NOT be me :)

I agree with HERO. You went through things no one could ever expect a person to do....

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not suggesting we throw a ticker tape parade in Julian's honor, but I do believe the description of "Hero" is an accurate and well-deserved one!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not suggesting we throw a ticker tape parade in Julian's honor, but I do believe the description of "Hero" is an accurate and well-deserved one!
What????? I've got my hotel room...right off Michigan Avenue in Down town Chicago....I'm ready for the Parade!!!! LOL

We made careful and deliberate decisions. The primary danger we were in was adding ourselves to the adrift count, but we had good contact with USCG and once closer to Bimini to the group there. Bringing two boats close together in rolling waves (especially my nice shiny new 242X) gave me some serious pucker factor...but we hit a calmer spot and moved the 3 cans FAST.

I guess I'll have to settle for the parade of Kayaks down the Chicago river last night (all the lights on the water into the distance are Kayaks):

kayak parade.jpg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If we are going to stick with the "Hero" narrative we need to consider parades for other jetboaters.

@wallacerb has a unique perceptive on things, but his act of picking up 4 kids from that boat was not less "Heroic" in my book.
@Majorsmackdown leaving at 1am to pick @Glen north of Daytona Beach is of epic proportions especially given that the man had towed from the West Cost
@MrMoose for circling around boats or even @swatski for bringing his daughters to a safe harbor while violated by his own tower.

so then the dilemma comes ..... is "hero" defined by the absolute value of the act OR is "hero" defined by the relative value of the act in comparison to his/her abilities ?

If we go with absolute version then the USCG meets the definition of Heros. But I bet to them it is just another day at work.
If we go by the relative value compare to abilities then my wife is hero for cooking an eatable dinner

If it is not clear, let me make it blund. Is Hydrotherapy operating more like the USCG Heli or more like my wife cooking ? I bet most will agree that very few boats in 2017 were better prepared to assist than Hydrotherapy . Notice how @Julian keeps mentioning that he was worried about his paintjob. That to me sounds like Heli pilot saying " oh man we got to clean the windshield again" .

Sorry @Julian No Parade You. This is part of the job description for a Jetboater Fleet Admiral ;)

Last edited:

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
picking up those kids was just the right thing to do, not heroic. They were visibly scared and their parents had enough to worry about. I have 3 kids of my own and if given a choice to sit and drift in the ocean or have someone take them to safety, I'll take safety every time...

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is and has been my mantra for years in the Navy and every aspect of my life..."One is None, Two is one"
Always have spares. [flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag]

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is and has been my mantra for years in the Navy and every aspect of my life..."One is None, Two is one"
Always have spares. [flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag]
how does your spouse feel about that ? I ain't working with mine :banghead:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After the 2 fire fighters were lost this last week off the coast of Florida it has made me wonder about just how easy this could have been this couple. I'm surprised they hadn't already called the coast guard when we got ahold of them, but I assume they were hoping a Jetboater would come to help.....

So for those thinking about Bimini for the first time....BE PREPARED!

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think there is also a "we're all in this together" mentality among boaters in general. I've never met another group of people with the same general guiding principles as boaters. If you own and operate a boat it's almost a guarantee that have either given or received aid from another boater at some point in time. That is a broad statement, but worth consideration as a concept I think. The mentality that drives one to buy a boat and take on such risks, also tends to drive one to offer aid quickly. I know I've been quick to help strangers, and have accepted the quick offer of help from others, although thankfully not in a life/death situation such as those described here.
I always look at it as a golden rule if I see a boat stopped I'll pull up and ask if they're OK because someday (Just like the Bimini trip) Someone pulled up and asked me if I needed help.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that I think about it maybe it is a good idea to carry a distress flag on board

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Distress flag, flares, whistle, horn, VHF with MSSI... Forget the USCG requirements. Carry them all. I think the only thing I don't have is a flare gun and an EPIRB. And I am basically always on one inland lake. Were I offshore I'm sure I would have those too. Much cheaper than the cost of your life.