• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing AR192 (video)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I borrowed 2 - 350lb ballast bags from my buddy. I had one strapped on the transom and one between the two consoles. I think it would have been better to put the one in the boat down in the ski locker, but my friend thought he knew "best." Not a bad wave, but I was only able to hold it for short periods. My driver (same friend) kept going to fast too so that didn't help. I have 4 guys in the boat with me too and was running about 7000 rpm at 10-12 mph. I really don't like running the boat that hard for that long so I don't know that I will be investing in any ballast systems myself. I am hoping to try it again on my board (O'brien Maha) which is wider and see if that give me enough push.

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
can't see it. Says it's private.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweet looks like fun !!

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for sharing the video!

Where was everyone sitting? Everyone on the surf-side? I think you will get a bigger push if you put one of those bags more to one side (under a back seat, or on top of it), that will list it over a bit and kick up the height of that side a bit more. Put a little curve in the driving and you'll be ropeless on that soon!

I wouldn't worry too much about running the boat with that much weight. Since you aren't going that fast it simply is just revving higher to achieve the same speed without the weight. Now if you were running at top RPMs for that engine then maybe, but at "only" 7k it really isn't any diff than driving at ~30mph (or whatever 7k RPM gets you for MPG) for the boat.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for sharing the video!

Where was everyone sitting? Everyone on the surf-side? I think you will get a bigger push if you put one of those bags more to one side (under a back seat, or on top of it), that will list it over a bit and kick up the height of that side a bit more. Put a little curve in the driving and you'll be ropeless on that soon!

I wouldn't worry too much about running the boat with that much weight. Since you aren't going that fast it simply is just revving higher to achieve the same speed without the weight. Now if you were running at top RPMs for that engine then maybe, but at "only" 7k it really isn't any diff than driving at ~30mph (or whatever 7k RPM gets you for MPG) for the boat.
Thanks and sounds like good advise! I will try shifting the bag to the surf side. That probably would make the difference I need. It's never going to be an amazing wave, but hopefully it will be enough to screw around on and keep me happy. As far as seating, I had one buddy jump on the back on the surf side as you can see in the video (not legal in MN, I did yell at him afterwards), and I think I had one guy on each side of the back, plus driver.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So much fun to experiment with this stuff, wish I had more time to do it!

Here's what I would try next time:
  • 1 bag under the surfside seat
  • 1 bag on the swim platform
And if you have the same number of people next time
  • 2 people in the bow (maybe one on each side, maybe both on the same, try both)
  • 1 person driving (obviously)
  • Last person sitting behind the driver