• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing / Engine Water Damage

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
General question-
With the boat back end partially sunk with an 850 lb bag, we often stop and let everyone swim before we get into another surf session. With the weight on the back and folks also populating the platform, is there danger of water leaking back though the exhaust and into the engine?
I thought I read that somewhere on the forum?? Has anyone had that happen?
If so what is the solution? Leave the engine running for hours on end?
2019 AR 240. 850 on the back, 375 in the locker and another 400 in the front. 5-7 or so in the boat.
Thanks in advance.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
General question-
With the boat back end partially sunk with an 850 lb bag, we often stop and let everyone swim before we get into another surf session. With the weight on the back and folks also populating the platform, is there danger of water leaking back though the exhaust and into the engine?
I thought I read that somewhere on the forum?? Has anyone had that happen?
If so what is the solution? Leave the engine running for hours on end?
2019 AR 240. 850 on the back, 375 in the locker and another 400 in the front. 5-7 or so in the boat.
Thanks in advance.
Whatever the solution, don’t have those engines running while people are swimming. That’s some serious accident waiting to happen. I would think having the bilge on would suffice in this situation, but this doesn’t directly answer your water leaking through the exhaust question. Others will chime in though, I’m sure.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
we have had numerous discussions about the low side engine being hard to start due to the increased backpressure of the exhaust system and the solution was to get the high side engine running and once the boat gets moving start the low side up because the back pressure is reduced and the engine starts easier but I have no recollection of the engines being damaged by sitting low in the water

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think there's been any report of damage to an engine from this, certainly not any I've seen. The hard start is an issue I can confirm. We usually were only trading between either my wife or I riding and we got the the habit of leaving it running while we made the transition. I never felt at risk with the jet personally, though we did shut it off when the kids were entering and exiting. With the new V-drive, we will fully shutoff the engines whenever riders are entering and exiting the boat.

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no trouble starting engines either one of them.
As far as the bilge is concerned, its not the fear of water in the engine compartment (bilge) It is water making it's way from the exhaust back to the engine due to the fact the boat is weighted down so far in the water.