• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing in 2017

Impeller>Propeller

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the plan was to hit up the boat show this winter and pick up a brand new 2017 212x. It's something we've been looking forward to all summer. However, the new price point has really pushed it out of the budget. Now my options are the AR19X, AR210 or the Limited 212 S. Looking for options on what is going to work best with surfing and advice on what accessories I will need to make it happen. Would love to find an aftermarket ballast system with the same fill/empty switch capability you see on the 212x.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My opinion would be to go with the larger boat and find one slightly used. The larger boat with the twin engines is very nice. I couldn't see myself in the smaller model. Cam.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the plan was to hit up the boat show this winter and pick up a brand new 2017 212x. It's something we've been looking forward to all summer. However, the new price point has really pushed it out of the budget. Now my options are the AR19X, AR210 or the Limited 212 S. Looking for options on what is going to work best with surfing and advice on what accessories I will need to make it happen. Would love to find an aftermarket ballast system with the same fill/empty switch capability you see on the 212x.
If new is out of your price range, consider a bigger used boat. . . . Also, update your location so we can link you to deals in your area when them pop up.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would go Limited 212 S with an aftermarket ballast setup if that one fits your budget. Having the dual 1.8L engines (vs. the TR1s) and a larger boat (wide/deeper hull than the 192) would make that boat the choice for me.

I feel that the AR210 is a bit weak on the power for water/wake sports already when adding enough ballast for a good surf wave. You won't regret having more power there and I doubt the new TR1 engines made the power to weight ratio all that much better (maybe worse?) for that activity on the water.

As other suggested, getting a used boat is a good option too. I'd look at seeing if you can find a used AR240 with the articulating keel and add ballast to that.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go Limited 212 S with an aftermarket ballast setup if that one fits your budget. Having the dual 1.8L engines (vs. the TR1s) and a larger boat (wide/deeper hull than the 192) would make that boat the choice for me.

I feel that the AR210 is a bit weak on the power for water/wake sports already when adding enough ballast for a good surf wave. You won't regret having more power there and I doubt the new TR1 engines made the power to weight ratio all that much better (maybe worse?) for that activity on the water.

As other suggested, getting a used boat is a good option too. I'd look at seeing if you can find a used AR240 with the articulating keel and add ballast to that.
Isn't yamaha touting that the TR-1's are 13% more powerful?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, I heard that too...

My thought is that the extra power from the new engine would be negated/offset by what I see is a heavier dry weight when comparing 2015 to 2017 (looking at the AR210). Dry weight in 2015 was 2,939 lbs. vs. 3,228 lbs. in 2017. I would expect about the same performance as the last bodystyle/engine combo and for me I would want some more power. Putting 1500-2000 lbs in the boat def. makes the engines rev. much higher than without that extra weight, based on the power increase but heavier boat I doubt that would change.

In the end if I had to do it over again, knowing that I would want to surf (didn't do it before we bought this boat) I would go with a boat with a bit more power if possible (I would do a 212x over a AR210 right now honestly). I would rule out the 19' all together because of the overall interior space is too small for us. I'm super happy with our AR210, does everything we ask it too and more, so don't count the AR210 out, just my experience/thoughts. :D Plus it's your money, not mine. :p

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Isn't yamaha touting that the TR-1's are 13% more powerful?
They are comparing that number to the MR1 engines they superseded, not the 1.8L ;)

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your main goal is surfing go as big as you can the weight of the boat will likely help with this. You can surf a 19ft boat with added ballast but you loose a lot of room I would look at a minimum of a 21ft but possibly be looking for a used 24ft or maybe a new 24ft.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If surfing is the main reason you are buying a boat, I would look for a lightly used V-drive Supreme or something in that price category, not a jet boat. Jet boats are not great surf boats for a few different reasons. Can you make them work? Yes, and many have, but after the first time you find yourself behind a v-drive you will regret your purchase. If you are looking for just a good all around boat, I can't recommend the Yamaha's enough. I would say plan on spending about $1.5-2k for a fully plumbed ballast setup with multiple pumps and bags wired to the helm station if you do the install yourself. Please correct me if I am off on those numbers, but that's just a quick shot off the top of my head based on some of my own research.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If surfing is the main reason you are buying a boat, I would look for a lightly used V-drive Supreme or something in that price category, not a jet boat. Jet boats are not great surf boats for a few different reasons. Can you make them work? Yes, and many have, but after the first time you find yourself behind a v-drive you will regret your purchase. If you are looking for just a good all around boat, I can't recommend the Yamaha's enough. I would say plan on spending about $1.5-2k for a fully plumbed ballast setup with multiple pumps and bags wired to the helm station if you do the install yourself. Please correct me if I am off on those numbers, but that's just a quick shot off the top of my head based on some of my own research.
I cannot agree with this statement, I have surfed behind many V-drive boats and I didn't walk away thinking they were way better, just a slight edge.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I cannot agree with this statement, I have surfed behind many V-drive boats and I didn't walk away thinking they were way better, just a slight edge.
Fair enough. If I'm not mistaken, you have put some money into a ballast system for your boat. Am I in the ballpark at $1.5-2k for a quality system?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fair enough. If I'm not mistaken, you have put some money into a ballast system for your boat. Am I in the ballpark at $1.5-2k for a quality system?
Really depends if you're wanting an internal, fully integrated ballast system or something more portable where bags are placed on seats, ski locker and floor. New bags run anywhere from $99-250 depending on size and pumps run $100-$150 for over-the-side portable pumps and $250-$350 for reversible integrated ballast pumps complete with electrical fill/dump switches. Like anything, you can also buy used and save money too. I saved on my pump as I bought it used off a member here and my 750# bag was $160, so I'm in it for less than $250 but mine is portable and nowhere near as involved as others more complex systems.

So let's say you want 1500-1800 lbs of integrated ballast you could buy:
  • 2 Fly High 750# fat sac's $320 total
  • 1 Fly High 155# tube sac $130 total
  • 3 Jabsco Ballast Puppy reversible pumps $705 total
  • hoses run you .99 cents to $1.29 per foot
  • fittings, check valves and other misc parts probably $50+. Really the skies the limit with how fancy you want to go with options and fittings.
Probably looking at $1,200 or so if doing it yourself and want a fully integrated system. Still a bit less than $1500-2000 but I'm sure you could easily spend that much if you want to go balls to the wall with automation and all that.

-Or-

If having your storage areas consumed by bags isn't what you desire and you want a portable solution like most do, you can build your ballast system for just a few hundred dollars. Granted you won't have switches and fancy plumbing bit it's great for the weekend surfer who splits his boat duty with being a family/cove cruiser boat while surfing or playing in the water on a budget.
  • 2 Fly High 750# fat sac's $320 total
  • 1 Fly High 155# tube sac $130 total
  • 1 WakeMakers Elevate Turbo (Attwood Tsunami) pump and hose kit $120
$570 total

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@haknslash has pretty much covered it. I have 3 thru hull intakes on my boat for each bag along with 3 Johnson ballast pumps, one for each bag. I also have 2 electric ball valves one to close a bag and one to open up a top port so I can fill a seat bag with a Johnson pump. I have a 400 fly high bag under my starboard seat, an 1180 flyhigh bag under my port seat, and an 800 sumo sac in my locker. I also run a 750 bag on top of my port side cabin seat. I think I have around 2k in my system when all was said and done.