• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing with the wake package

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the scarabs are beautiful and have great well thought out features, but is the wake package with the ballast tanks just a marketing gimmick or can you really have a good surfing experience with it?

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I think the scarabs are beautiful and have great well thought out features, but is the wake package with the ballast tanks just a marketing gimmick or can you really have a good surfing experience with it?
Hi there, not it's not a marketing ploy..LOL. I have the 2018 255 wake and we use it often with my daughter and myself.

This is a video of our boat with my daughter wake surfing.

If you search for my name on the scarab forum in here, you should find some of my input from earlier this year.

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow! Looks good and thank you for taking the time to reply. Does your boat have the Surfstream Wake Enhancement option?

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Wow! Looks good and thank you for taking the time to reply. Does your boat have the Surfstream Wake Enhancement option?
Yes I sure do. Internal ballasts, surf tabs, tower, ski mode on our touch screen.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW! Look at her go! That's a great video, made me think of the freestyle long board surfers who used to walk around their boards! Good for her!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi there, not it's not a marketing ploy..LOL. I have the 2018 255 wake and we use it often with my daughter and myself.

This is a video of our boat with my daughter wake surfing.

If you search for my name on the scarab forum in here, you should find some of my input from earlier this year.
Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing!

--

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yes, I left that out accidentally, I have that too.

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone tried a suction cup mount wake shaping device on the scarab? Did it work? Recommendations?

I have a 215 with the wake package and it doesn’t make a wake big enough to surf.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Has anyone tried a suction cup mount wake shaping device on the scarab? Did it work? Recommendations?

I have a 215 with the wake package and it doesn’t make a wake big enough to surf.
We ended up making our own, I'll attach the video:

The one we made ourselves

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

So far no one seems to have been able to get those things to work in any of the jet boat models here...
There are at least two issues
1. the wake shaping (delayed convergence) devices mounted on the non-surf side force you to counter-steer in order - pointing the jets into the wake surface and ruining it
2. with jetboats' hulls and transoms listing the hull to the surf side is required to get a surfable wake, and that lifts the other side up taking the shaper out of the water

EDIT:
I think my comments may have just been proven wrong! -see above.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Huh! That seems to be working. Very nice.

--
We tested and modified it NUMEROUS times for OUR specific boat (Scarab 255) with our specific ballasts. We tried it on another Scarab, which "worked", but they didn't have the ballasts to weigh down the boat to get the better wake.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

We have the 255 wake version as well, to get the wake we wanted, we added additional ballasts. here's our video:

CLICK HERE

I also added the description of the weights in the notes section of the youtube video.

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I watched the video and after he throws the rope he can't stay with the boat. Was that with extra ballast and the Surfstream Wake Enhancement option? If so, it doesn't seem that all those things can even allow a surfer to simply continue to stay with the boat.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I watched the video and after he throws the rope he can't stay with the boat. Was that with extra ballast and the Surfstream Wake Enhancement option? If so, it doesn't seem that all those things can even allow a surfer to simply continue to stay with the boat.
Which video are you referring too?

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In your post right above mine where it says "click here"

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
also, are you supposed to only fill the port or starboard ballast? or both?

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
In your post right above mine where it says "click here"

So that was my son and that was his first time wake surfing. He's always wake boarded or wake skated. If you click on the other video I have in there, my daughter is the pro in the family and she can stay on for the duration of the entire lake if we weren't so darn hot watching her from inside the boat.

We will fill all internal ballasts, PLUS an extra external on the rider side and a smaller ballast at bow.

Here's my daughter this past July when the kids were down for a visit again.

CLICK HERE

Last edited: