• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SW Florida homeowners insurance

Reviving this to see if anyone has recommendations. We have been using Tower Hill Insurance since we bought our house here, first year premium was $1,500, second years was $2,000 and next year they want $4,500. I have inquired about a alternative company but it sounds like pickings are very slim and premiums are ridiculously high.
I was with floridabestinsurance (universal casualty something) its 1500# w pool not in flood zone but close to ocean/intercoastal, 2800 first year, 3300 2nd and 5200 3rd year which is ridiculous I did not renew 3rd year. It took me a while to find one that will insure me back to 2800. its Kin Insurance based in orlando i think. Hope it helps I was so frustrated I almost sold my house. www.kin.com

I was with floridabestinsurance (universal casualty something) its 1500# w pool not in flood zone but close to ocean/intercoastal, 2800 first year, 3300 2nd and 5200 3rd year which is ridiculous I did not renew 3rd year. It took me a while to find one that will insure me back to 2800. its Kin Insurance based in orlando i think. Hope it helps I was so frustrated I almost sold my house. www.kin.com
Thanks for the contact, just got a quote from them for $3,800.. Still expensive but $700. less.

Reviving this to see if anyone has recommendations. We have been using Tower Hill Insurance since we bought our house here, first year premium was $1,500, second years was $2,000 and next year they want $4,500. I have inquired about a alternative company but it sounds like pickings are very slim and premiums are ridiculously high.
Your roof must be old? The next big hurricane it would be terrible if somehow your roof suffered damage ..... wink wink, nod.

Your roof must be old? The next big hurricane it would be terrible if somehow your roof suffered damage ..... wink wink, nod.
LOL, I’m sure you have been told that the reason for the premium increases is because of all the roof claims after Irma. We had ours replaced at our expense in 2019.

LOL, I’m sure you have been told that the reason for the premium increases is because of all the roof claims after Irma. We had ours replaced at our expense in 2019.
Everybody got a roof! I bet 90% didn't need one, most was wind driven rain leaks through the vents but the roofers made a mint on it.

Thanks for the contact, just got a quote from them for $3,800.. Still expensive but $700. less.
Not sure if this helps but are you being quoted for the same home value? So my house when I bought 2020 almost doubled in value cause this crazy real estate market, the 5200 latest quote they tried to insure me for inflated value. When I got my insurance back to original 2800/yr is what I paid for the house plus 10%.

Everybody got a roof! I bet 90% didn't need one, most was wind driven rain leaks through the vents but the roofers made a mint on it.
It really sucks that people either took advantage or were told that they needed a roof when they didn’t and now everyone is paying for it.

We are going down to the Cape Coral/Punta Gorda area next month to start looking in person for houses. Been looking on Zillow for 6-8 months and contacted a realtor a couple of weeks ago to get listings. Long story short, I called my insurance company (USAA) that I have used since 1976 to get a quote on a house we are interested in so I had some idea of costs. They quoted me $4,900. On a 2000sqft house with a pool and on a canal. This seems very high to me, I know there are a bunch off members living in Florida and I’m looking for some input if that is a normal yearly premium.
I thought USAA doesnt cover Florida for home owners insurance… did that change ??

ok.... so I do property claims in Florida and there are only a few companies that are worth anything. Amica, USAA, Florida Farm Bureau and Florida Family. Remember you get what you pay for..... cheap means coverage limitations. When you buddy says use this company, he does not have a clue as the real truth. Insurance is nothing until you have a claim. Go cheap get cheap. Spend the extra because it's a matter of time before we get hit with a good hurricane. The earth is angry and you can see it getting worst every year.

Who of those companies do you prefer and pays the best out for issues ? Any thoughts ? I have USAA but they told me a bit back they don’t cover Florida… maybe thats changed again since I spoke to them??

Not sure if this helps but are you being quoted for the same home value? So my house when I bought 2020 almost doubled in value cause this crazy real estate market, the 5200 latest quote they tried to insure me for inflated value. When I got my insurance back to original 2800/yr is what I paid for the house plus 10%.
Yes the values went up on the new policy, dwelling went up 85k other structures went up 8k. Agents that I spoke to said you can reduce your values but it really will not affect your premiums substantially.

I had a beach house in Panama City Beach, old as crap and never going to pass inspection for code. My insurance cancelled me. Owed less than 90k on a 900k property. Couldn't get insurance without the inspection and needed wind, flood, etc. on top of regular homeowners. Mortgage company forced insurance coverage that was better than I had before for way less, so I just let them do it every year until I sold it. Saved a ton.

I thought USAA doesnt cover Florida for home owners insurance… did that change ??
I had heard the same but when I checked in 2019 they would insure you through another provider. It may of changed again, I was planning on contacting them next week since I still have our auto insurance through them.

I had a beach house in Panama City Beach, old as crap and never going to pass inspection for code. My insurance cancelled me. Owed less than 90k on a 900k property. Couldn't get insurance without the inspection and needed wind, flood, etc. on top of regular homeowners. Mortgage company forced insurance coverage that was better than I had before for way less, so I just let them do it every year until I sold it. Saved a ton.
Thats what I have too now… the Mortage company has forced insurance…I was wondering if I needed to also get supplemental personal insurance on the house… I wasn’t sure what the mortage company’s using or if its even that good…

Thats what I have too now… the Mortage company has forced insurance…I was wondering if I needed to also get supplemental personal insurance on the house… I wasn’t sure what the mortage company’s using or if its even that good…
Only if you are renting it. Otherwise I don't see the need

If you have forced insurance, I think you need to take a detailed look at the coverage. My understanding is that it is covering the lender's financial risk in the house. I believe it does not cover your belongings or provide any liability coverage. In addition, I have read that the coverage could be for just the amount owed on the home or for the entire value of the home.

Jim

Give KIN insurance a call I just got my home covered under them they were the lowest rate so far in my area in Kissimmee Florida I’m paying $2,788 a year and they gave me a very good coverage.

Last edited:
Who of those companies do you prefer and pays the best out for issues ? Any thoughts ? I have USAA but they told me a bit back they don’t cover Florida… maybe thats changed again since I spoke to them??
USAA is in fact writing homeowners policies, I just got a quote from them for half the premium of other companies and with better coverage.

USAA is in fact writing homeowners policies, I just got a quote from them for half the premium of other companies and with better coverage.
Thank you - I will go look again … good info here.

We are going down to the Cape Coral/Punta Gorda area next month to start looking in person for houses. Been looking on Zillow for 6-8 months and contacted a realtor a couple of weeks ago to get listings. Long story short, I called my insurance company (USAA) that I have used since 1976 to get a quote on a house we are interested in so I had some idea of costs. They quoted me $4,900. On a 2000sqft house with a pool and on a canal. This seems very high to me, I know there are a bunch off members living in Florida and I’m looking for some input if that is a normal yearly premium.

That's not bad for being on a canal.in cape coral IMO. Cape coral was devastated circa 04 by a storm, lots of flooding, cape coral is basically a peninsula surrounded by water, and being on a canal only.brings that water closer.

There's also not many companies still insuring in FL. I'd bet USAA is acting as a middleman with another company you've never heard of. None of the big insurance companies actually insure here.

We have roofers around here that advertise free insurance roofs. There's literally a company nearby called freeroof.com that their whole shtick is getting insurance to pay.

While everyone wants a free roof, it's also lead to a ton of insolvent insurance companies.

Personally, I think FL should not allow companies to sell other insurance products in FL if they sell homeowners in other states but not FL.

Back