• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swim deck speakers for SX192/SX190

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So anyone add speakers to their swim deck? Specifically SX190/192 owners? I'd love to see some pictures and options.

Thanks!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought about it, but the thought of having only a speaker woofer back there to keep the water out made me to nervous, even though if water penetrated the woofer when you stop fast, it wouldn't be enough to sink you. You'd just need to replace the speaker. Since I have a tower, I just figured that was the better mounting option. Besides, cutting holes in my boat sends shivers down my spine. I bet you would get better sound by installing by the swim deck though. Most of the speakers used in boats are glorified car speakers and are designed to have a large air space behind them. Putting them in a small enclosure pretty much chokes out all of the bass.

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear you, the sound isn't terrible coming from the helm even when floating behind the boat.

I've seen a few installs behind the seats but even that area is limited. The larger boats come with the speakers near the back rest right?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hear you, the sound isn't terrible coming from the helm even when floating behind the boat.

I've seen a few installs behind the seats but even that area is limited. The larger boats come with the speakers near the back rest right?
That is correct, I think it's only on the higher trims of the 212 and 242, but they trim the seat at the corner to make room for the speaker. I did see a thread where somebody modified the cushions to allow for speaker room, but it was a while back and I'm probably not going to find it. It probably wouldn't be too extreme to have an auto upholstery shop do the same thing for you so you can mount speakers on the inside gunwales there. I wouldn't think you would be able to go larger than a 5.25". Another concern would be is there a flat enough surface to mount them to back there because it is pretty rounded. I hate not having my boat within reasonable reach this time of year to look at things like that.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is the back of the 242 and then the 212 on the right.
yamaha_242limiteds_2015_dock.jpg 92835.57e19cdda9b341167401c4fc.xl.jpg

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah I see. I have my boat stuffed in my garage so it's not as easy to pull the cover off to check these things either.

I may just start with the XC2410 Amp first and go from there.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

texmo02

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
We can always go with smaller speakers, since the cabin speaker bass does seem audible back there

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We can always go with smaller speakers, since the cabin speaker bass does seem audible back there
You only really hear them when your out on the beach. My 7.7s carry really well you can hear those in the boat but my 6.5s did not carry to well into the boat

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you modify your cushions yourself or have a shop do that for you (if so, what did that run you)?
Took it to a upholstery shop here in Tarpon Springs Florida I was going to have them dish out the cushion like the 242 but said the hell with it just cut 8 inches or so long and reattach everything for both of them it was $80 total

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Drift Away did you do this on a 19'? your profile says you have a 24' boat. Do you have pictures? I too am still debating on where/how to install speakers on the swim deck.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Drift Away did you do this on a 19'? your profile says you have a 24' boat. Do you have pictures? I too am still debating on where/how to install speakers on the swim deck.
Its on a 2016 SX240. I wanted the S or E Style without the price. I started with the 6.5 and wanted more sound out of them so i jumped up to the 7.720161210_135602.jpg 20170128_114140.jpg 20170128_113219.jpg 20170128_125219.jpg

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Roger That... You so you have more room than we do on our 190's... i like the look and i like the idea...

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Roger That... You so you have more room than we do on our 190's... i like the look and i like the idea...
The trick on the 19's is to find room above the water line. I have seen some on the lower part of the swin deck. I boat in salt water and it would kill my speakers.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
agreed. I have seen some photos of people installing them on the lower level and that is simply out of the question for me. Way to close to the water and without a doubt create issue in the future. More than likely the option is going to be to simply upgrade the four stock 6.5's and add maybe a pair of 8's and push them with clean power and just be happy with that! I am too old to be rocking the cove!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the best way to test to see if a spot will work on the 190/192 might be to cut a 7" diameter circle (for 6.5" speakers) out of plywood, remove one of the rear back rests, and see if there is a spot flat enough to mount a speaker on the inside of the gunwale. If that doesn't work a 5-1/4" speaker might work.

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
agreed. I have seen some photos of people installing them on the lower level and that is simply out of the question for me. Way to close to the water and without a doubt create issue in the future. More than likely the option is going to be to simply upgrade the four stock 6.5's and add maybe a pair of 8's and push them with clean power and just be happy with that! I am too old to be rocking the cove!
You are never too old to be rockin' the cove. (At least that is what I am going to keep telling myself). Although, nothing annoys me more than 15 dueling stereos. Everybody wants to be the freakin' DJ...

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I mounted them between the U seating of my sx190 and the swim deck. The are angles up BR provide good clear sound out swimming!