• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX/AR 190 fender recommendations?

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this was a previous thread but all the links to items are broken. Getting a SX 190, which type of fenders work best? I currently use big plastic ones for my Maxum but I read they may scratch my Yami. Do those foldable ones work well?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have used a lot of fenders and the Sentry ones are by far the best IMO and fit the curves better. They are pretty pricey though.

Standard fenders like the Taylor ones I also have sit too low on rear cleat to be effective on 19ft boats.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use exile audio balls. Not super pricey but work great. Plus they deflate to reduce the storage space.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We've always used standard inflatable fenders (Attwood, Taylor, whatever) and adjusted location and length as needed. Never seen any gelcoat damage as they're somewhat "spongy" with the air inside. Hard plastic fenders could scratch if dust/sand gets between them and the gelcoat.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I use Polyform G3 center and bow cleats and a G2 on the stern.

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have used a lot of fenders and the Sentry ones are by far the best IMO and fit the curves better. They are pretty pricey though.

Standard fenders like the Taylor ones I also have sit too low on rear cleat to be effective on 19ft boats.

Those do look nice. Pricey but maybe worth it

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use exile audio balls. Not super pricey but work great. Plus they deflate to reduce the storage space.
Yup same here and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a traditional fender. These offer way more protection and distance from whatever your tie up to.

The Sentry fenders IMO while cool looking don’t seem to offer a lot of distance from the side of the boat. I don’t see how they would protect the boat when it gets rough. If you have board racks or tie up to someone with board racks that don’t swivel then it makes it even worse, especially if you have a tower. Been there and got the damage to show it before.

9191E01C-CAA6-426B-9C9B-C0F86CE82C8B.jpeg

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have one of the Sentry, I'm disappointed in how (poorly) it works on the stern cleat of my SX190, but does work better on the other two.

The problem is that the rear cleat is so low to the water that the bottom of the fender floats upward and loosens the plastic straps, so within a couple of minutes the whole thing is just floating next to the boat rather than protecting it. It would work much better with some sort of semi-rigid attachment that would force it to stay in place. Works quite well if you attach it to the dock as the manufacturer suggests in their video, but that's not a great option.

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanx everyone so far. I launch my boat every time, so no long term mooring at dock. Just want to protect it launching, returning, when tied up to other boats and docked for lunch and stuff

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have one of the Sentry, I'm disappointed in how (poorly) it works on the stern cleat of my SX190, but does work better on the other two.

The problem is that the rear cleat is so low to the water that the bottom of the fender floats upward and loosens the plastic straps, so within a couple of minutes the whole thing is just floating next to the boat rather than protecting it. It would work much better with some sort of semi-rigid attachment that would force it to stay in place. Works quite well if you attach it to the dock as the manufacturer suggests in their video, but that's not a great option.
Thanks, that's why I also have a Mission Icon Fender ordered for the back.. I was going to see what works best. See image below.Copy_of_icon_1024_4_2000x.png

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanx everyone so far. I launch my boat every time, so no long term mooring at dock. Just want to protect it launching, returning, when tied up to other boats and docked for lunch and stuff
You won't use fenders for launching and retrieving on the trailer especially if you have guide poles since the fenders would get in the way.

IMO if you want the most protection you want the most distance from the dock or boat you're tied up to. Those Sentry fenders look less thick than the diameter of a traditional 8" fender. I you tie up too boat with board racks you'll want more than 8" or risk the towers bashing into each other when rollers come by.

Kids Hippity Hop balls also work if you don't want to spend money for Exile, Babz balls or others. You can get them at Academy for cheap. Here's a pic with my old boat and another AR192 ties up using a kids ball. The ball was below the rub rail but even then it provides more room than a sentry or traditional 8" fender.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You won't use fenders for launching and retrieving on the trailer especially if you have guide poles since the fenders would get in the way.

IMO if you want the most protection you want the most distance from the dock or boat you're tied up to. Those Sentry fenders look less thick than the diameter of a traditional 8" fender. I you tie up too boat with board racks you'll want more than 8" or risk the towers bashing into each other when rollers come by.

Kids Hippity Hop balls also work if you don't want to spend money for Exile, Babz balls or others. You can get them at Academy for cheap. Here's a pic with my old boat and another AR192 ties up using a kids ball. The ball was below the rub rail but even then it provides more room than a sentry or traditional 8" fender.

View attachment 115326
I use them at the launch when tied up to the dock. Thanx for suggestion with ball

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use them at the launch when tied up to the dock. Thanx for suggestion with ball
Same here. Fenders are necessary during launch and retrieval as we launch by hand/ropes. While I'm parking, my wife ties it off and turns on the blower and preps a few items like drinks from the cooler. A few minutes later I'm back in and we can fire it up and depart the dock safely. During that time usually another boater is there getting ready to dunk their trailer so it works out perfect from a timing point. Once away from the area, we pull off the fenders and go have fun.

We retrieve in the reverse order and never power-load as it takes too long. We can get the boat on the trailer and out of the water faster than most power-loading boaters can since we can often line it up right first time. We've watched as others are retrying 3-4 times to line it up right, but by that time we're strapped in and leaving the launch area.

And although power-loading is prohibited in my area due to seabed and ramp damage, boaters continue to risk the penalties and power it on the trailer anyway. I always point it out to new boaters we haven't seen before to warn them, so if they get fined, not my problem.

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same here. Fenders are necessary during launch and retrieval as we launch by hand/ropes. While I'm parking, my wife ties it off and turns on the blower and preps a few items like drinks from the cooler. A few minutes later I'm back in and we can fire it up and depart the dock safely. During that time usually another boater is there getting ready to dunk their trailer so it works out perfect from a timing point. Once away from the area, we pull off the fenders and go have fun.

We retrieve in the reverse order and never power-load as it takes too long. We can get the boat on the trailer and out of the water faster than most power-loading boaters can since we can often line it up right first time. We've watched as others are retrying 3-4 times to line it up right, but by that time we're strapped in and leaving the launch area.

And although power-loading is prohibited in my area due to seabed and ramp damage, boaters continue to risk the penalties and power it on the trailer anyway. I always point it out to new boaters we haven't seen before to warn them, so if they get fined, not my problem.
Yeah, I hear you exactly. I could launch my current boat with my kids at 10 y old in 5 mins or less just using ropes. IDK what some people do at the launch, taxes or something because it should never take that long.

I

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I got the large 8.5” x 26” Taylor Made Super Gard fenders and a set of their covers as well. Might seem like overkill but the docks around me are crap so I want as much protection as possible.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got the large 8.5” x 26” Taylor Made Super Gard fenders and a set of their covers as well. Might seem like overkill but the docks around me are crap so I want as much protection as possible.
Yup some of the docks here are poorly maintained too. They got me a few years ago even with using fenders. Stupid nails instead of wood screws ugh!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup some of the docks here are poorly maintained too. They got me a few years ago even with using fenders. Stupid nails instead of wood screws ugh!
Ow, that hurts just looking at it.
Did you do a gelcoat repair?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ow, that hurts just looking at it.
Did you do a gelcoat repair?
Nah I left it as is and traded it in like that. I believe my dealer had his gelcoat guy do the paste repair before they sold it. Yea it sucked at the time and I was bummed.