• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 GARAGED

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a SX190 that's been garaged for 1½ with 3/4 of tank of fuel mixed with STA-BIL gas treatment. Should it be OK to start with the fuel sitting that long?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, should be, but I would add some additional gas treatment and also top it off with fresh non-ethanol too. SeaFoam at 1oz per gallon will help.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should I top it off with gas too? What's the average battery reading on these batteries? I'm still on the original battery from when we bought the boat new in 2019. I have kept the battery charged through the years?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Should I top it off with gas too? What's the average battery reading on these batteries? I'm still on the original battery from when we bought the boat new in 2019. I have kept the battery charged through the years?
If it was my boat, I would top it off with some gas and gas treatment.

Anything above 12.4-5 should start the boat. A good battery disconnected from a charger but before the boat starts should read 12.7-9. Should read 13+ while the motors are running. If the battery has been on a trickle charger you're good to go.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tested the battery with a volt meter sitting at 11.7 before trickle charge.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had good run since 2019. What's the lifespan?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Had good run since 2019. What's the lifespan?
Depends on what kind of battery it is. A decent AGM can go 8+ years. A cheap lead-acid can last 12 months. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't ship the boats with batteries, nor does it mandate a certain standard of battery for their dealers - so dealers end up throwing the cheapest crap they have available to them because it helps with their margins.

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The battery is toast. 5 years is a year more than I got out of the first battery in our SX190.

With regards to the voltage reading on the Connext screen -- Ours reads .4v low no matter what. A full battery is 12.7 to 12.8v resting voltage, which reads 12.4v on our Connext. Use a handheld volt meter to confirm battery voltage.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The battery is toast. 5 years is a year more than I got out of the first battery in our SX190.

With regards to the voltage reading on the Connext screen -- Ours reads .4v low no matter what. A full battery is 12.7 to 12.8v resting voltage, which reads 12.4v on our Connext. Use a handheld volt meter to confirm battery voltage.
This is correct - one of the reasons I swapped out the passenger side USB charger on our boat with one from Amazon that has voltage directly from the system was to be able to read exactly what the voltage was...

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So new battery now, how often should this battery be charged in the winter and summer months? And should be disconnected when not use, or is the battery on / off switch good enough?

1000004387.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So new battery now, how often should this battery be charged in the winter and summer months? And should be disconnected when not use, or is the battery on / off switch good enough?

View attachment 222931
You'll get different answers on charging - most important would be to shut the power off at the battery switch when the boat isn't in use. I always have my three batteries on a NOCO charging system, but I also bring them down regularly with tunes at the sandbar. Some swear you can rely on the stator charging system that comes on our boats to maintain the batteries.

IF you only have ONE battery, I would recommend you upgrade to two, or at the very least, buy a small jump pack to keep on the boat. Nothing ruins a trip like a dead battery and a tow back to the dock.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, just the switch is it? Charge when we are ready to go somewhere. Winter months every 2 to 3 months for a charge?

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the switch off, I believe the bilge will still run periodically and drain the battery. At least that has been my experience with my '18 SX 195. I once arrived on Mother's Day to a dead battery after sitting for a month with switch off. smh

If I don't plan on using the boat for a week +, it is on a battery tender. Amazon.com

I am on my original battery and I am sure I am riding on borrowed time (5 years +). :) Especially with "hurting" it draining a couple times before the tender.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have this one here. Any opinions?

Limited-time deal: YONHAN Battery Charger 10-Amp 12V and 24V Fully-Automatic Smart Car Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation Amazon.com

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you already have it, I would go with it as it lists battery maintainer.

The Battery Tender has been around forever, trusted by many and is essentially plug n play. No selections, just plug it in/hook it up and rock on till next time.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are in California @ 104° probably best to bring the battery in the house and charge with the heat in this crazy summer we have.

rfg1022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it good to leave the boat full of gas with additives inside added or empty when storing or boat sitting a period of time?