• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 - over heating with oil leak

JRobChicago

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for any advice or suggestions. Have a 2017 SX190 that we have had for 3 years running great without a problem. Took it out a few times this year for slow cruises with no issues. First time we took it out tubing for the year engine overheated and a big oil leak. Was told had a water leak that caused it to overheat and oil leak. Got it fixed and took it back out and it was fine until we ran it hard tubing again with the same problem (but caught sooner this time). After I let it cool down for a few hours and checked that still had plenty of oil I started it up and check engine didn't go on. Seems we only have the issue when we are pulling tubers or running boat harder.

The mechanic is telling me that this boat isn't designed to run that hard. We used it for tubing previous 3 years without a problem so that doesn't make sense.

Suggestions on what I should check? I have seen a few article suggesting intake/water strainer could be clogged preventing it from cooling down?

Could be a kinked cooling hose. When that happens it will not allow enough water flow to cool it off. That’s why it’s only at high rpm that it gets hot. Good luck.

Could be a kinked cooling hose. When that happens it will not allow enough water flow to cool it off. That’s why it’s only at high rpm that it gets hot. Good luck.

Thanks, @sandtiago83 - is it most likely that cooling hose kink would be in the engine compartment?

Should run tryout it look it up on YouTube is your best bet .

The mechanic said "boat isn't designed to run that hard" Bull Shit, its a PWC eng. PWC go WOT all day, every day.

Back