• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

SX190 Spark Plugs

TimeOnTheWater07

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all. Went to change my spark plugs for the first time and wanted opinions as to whether or not they need it. I have a new set and my intention was to keep the originals for use when winterizing/start of season.

Unfortunately I have no service records to see if they’ve been changed before, as the previous owner didn’t care to keep any. The boat seems to be performing pretty well, 2021 SX190 - 1.8L

We have had the boat out twice so far this year to ensure that, if it was fogged, the oil is burned off. The boat never smoked at all like my VX waverunner did last year, so I’m not sure Wonderland even fogged my engine when winterized.
Do these spark plugs look fouled or like they need to be replaced? The others looked similar.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 13
They look lean burning. Your insulator is basically white. Yamaha's 1.8 engines are lean burning so this appears to be Normal given just two outings.

Hey all. Went to change my spark plugs for the first time and wanted opinions as to whether or not they need it.
How many hours? You should be able to get 300+ hours out of a new set and those look fine.
Also check the gap on them, they should be within 0.8 - 0.9mm.
Here's a page to see what different plug conditions look like:
Our plugs should be a little lighter grey than the first "normal" plug colour.

By the way, You don't need to change your plugs until they're worn otherwise you're just throwing away perfectly good plugs. If everything is good, engine idles smooth, runs well, good colour, etc., then just pull them to inspect their condition once a year or every 100 hours. If you notice a loss in performance before the 100 hours, pull them and inspect. If they're worn (gap over 0.9mm) or dirty, wet, etc., change them out and test the boat again, then pull the plugs to see their condition and compare to the spark plug colour pics. Otherwise run them and enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback and link to more info.

57 hours on the boat now, and I bought it last August with 50 hours on it. These may be the plugs from the factory.
Everyone says winterizing/fogging fouls the plugs, so either my boat didn’t get fogged at the dealer I took it to or I’m not sure I know what a fouled plug looks like.

I plan to keep using them for now and I’ll save the new ones I bought.

Everyone says winterizing/fogging fouls the plugs, so either my boat didn’t get fogged at the dealer I took it to or I’m not sure I know what a fouled plug looks like.
It looks dark and wet (see the pics on that site). If it was lightly fogged, and the engines fired up in the spring, they would quickly burn off the fogging oil and look normal after a good run to heat them up.

I've never fogged for winter storage and never had an issue with the plugs. If I was storing long term for something like a year, I would fog manually into the cylinder with the plugs pulled. But aside from that, I don't think fogging is really necessary for winter storage.

Back