• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 Trailer Tires

MissScarlet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking to purchase a new spare tire and have decided to look at radial over bias.

Then after looking at the stock tires on my SX190 Shorland'r trailer, I noticed that they were bias. They are Carlisle Sport Trail LH Bias ST185/D80 R13's.

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace them with radials, then use one of the stock bias tires as the spare? I don't usually travel far distances, but will be taking a few trips this summer that are 4 hours+.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone mount the spare underneath their trailer tongue, rather than on the side?

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still running the bias ply tires with my AR195. There has been a lot of conversation about changing out to radials. I'd roughly say that I have about 1500 towing miles on my setup and I have no issues with the bias ply tires. And I will trailer anywhere from 15 mins, up to 2 hours. I did have an issue right from the factory in that there was a substantial vibration about 70mph. I went to have the wheels balanced, and the shop found out that both wheels were bent. I had them replaced under warranty (new ones came again with bias ply), and then had them balanced right away. Other than a flat spot that appears after the trailer sits for a long time (which goes away after the first mile or two) I have zero problems running the bias ply tires. The spare that I bought from the dealership unfortunately is a radial, so it doesn't match. But I figure if I need to use it, it will only be until the problem tire gets replaced with another bias ply.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had no problems with the bias ply tires I had my SX 190 trailer. They wore well and ran smoothly at highway speeds. As for the spare, I'd stay with the side mount...seems to me mounting under the tongue could cause clearance on uneven surfaces.