• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 V SR230, what would you choose?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
For me I would do the 190 for the main reason that it could fit in my garage :) Also I just prefer the handling and nimbleness of a smaller boat. Coming from a 16ft Scarab I already feel like I lost some of that.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like most roads lead to the 190, I am going to try to setup a time for a test run on the lake. That will be the best way to know, can't really test the 230 as it would need some work before hitting the water. I'm not too concerned with what would happen with having 8 people on the boat at that point it's about getting us and our beer to wherever we want to go so as long as the 190 can do that I'm good.

Don't underestimate the 19' yamahas. It seems that everyone bashes them because they are too small, too slow, etc. I have a family of 5 and it works great for us. The storage is quite amazing. They are simple, easy to tow, easy to handle, and easy to maintain. We have friends that have boats so I don't need a boat that allows the neighborhood to come with us. I just need it to fit us which it does. When you want to modify things, just remember once you have 2 engines the cost of mods doubles...2 of everything.

The other thing that scares me is picking up a boat that has sat for a couple of years. That is what I did about 3 years ago, and the gremlins of the boat sitting rear their ugly head constantly until you "exorcise the demons". I finally got fed up with having to fix something every couple of times we took the boat out, so I bought a new Yamaha and couldn't be happier.
Having to perform an exorcism is probably the largest deterrent from the 230, I want to be out boating, not building a mechanics business in my storage unit haha.

@swatski How did you find the results of tuning the 190? Is there a set list of mods that would give the best bang for the buck or is it more of trial and error?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would (and did) pick the 230. A bigger boat is almost always better.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would (and did) pick the 230. A bigger boat is almost always better.
Yes. But there is a big difference between the 230 you got and the SR.
I almost bought an SR a few years back, but it was a project boat that I wanted to work on.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski How did you find the results of tuning the 190? Is there a set list of mods that would give the best bang for the buck or is it more of trial and error?
The most obvious things will be to:
1. delete the ribbon
2. keep the OEM impeller, but may need to repitch depending on your max RPM at WOT.

Aiming for 7,800 RPM at WOT - the closer you can get to that number (without any cavitation) the better.

The intake tunnel and wear ring “hygiene” is critical - seal and polish/blueprint everything. 5200 is okay, but some use bondo (poly) or marine-tex (epoxy - much harder to polish/sand) to really smooth and seal the tunnel so there is no air entering from around the intakes (from inside the bilge) or from in-between the pump segments. That helps a ton.

If the hole shot is still slow/she won’t like to jump up on plane quickly - I would strongly consider the L13 cone. Easy to dial in with the spacers. It works great in a 190 with OEM impeller.
(Do not forget to swap the o-ring from the OEM cone onto the L13.)

I would not let anyone talk me into after market impellers, Solas, Skat. Those are not bad and look nice and shiny, but nothing works better than the 190 OEM impeller for best hole shot due to their longest blades.
Those are also relatively easy to repitch on the trailing edge, you may not need to send those out if you can do this.lt’s not difficult.

(my 0.02)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes. But there is a big difference between the 230 you got and the SR.
I almost bought an SR a few years back, but it was a project boat that I wanted to work on.

Isnt the SR basically an entry level 230? Sure, the 230 may need some work, but it's also much cheaper and much bigger.

I guess it comes down to your willingness to put in work. Are you ok with a fixer upper, or something not as nice that's move in ready.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isnt the SR basically an entry level 230? Sure, the 230 may need some work, but it's also much cheaper and much bigger.

I guess it comes down to your willingness to put in work. Are you ok with a fixer upper, or something not as nice that's move in ready.
No the 230 you have and the SR are way different. You have one from the "HO" era MR-1's, slightly deeper boat with more power and seating for 12. The SR230 I am looking at is a 2004 non-HO with seating for 10.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The most obvious things will be to:
1. delete the ribbon
2. keep the OEM impeller, but may need to repitch depending on your max RPM at WOT.

Aiming for 7,800 RPM at WOT - the closer you can get to that number (without any cavitation) the better.

The intake tunnel and wear ring “hygiene” is critical - seal and polish/blueprint everything. 5200 is okay, but some use bondo (poly) or marine-tex (epoxy - much harder to polish/sand) to really smooth and seal the tunnel so there is no air entering from around the intakes (from inside the bilge) or from in-between the pump segments. That helps a ton.

If the hole shot is still slow/she won’t like to jump up on plane quickly - I would strongly consider the L13 cone. Easy to dial in with the spacers. It works great in a 190 with OEM impeller.
(Do not forget to swap the o-ring from the OEM cone onto the L13.)

I would not let anyone talk me into after market impellers, Solas, Skat. Those are not bad and look nice and shiny, but nothing works better than the 190 OEM impeller for best hole shot due to their longest blades.
Those are also relatively easy to repitch on the trailing edge, you may not need to send those out if you can do this.lt’s not difficult.

(my 0.02)

Thanks for all the info, was looking at the L13 cone for sure. That plus a MapX tuner but if I might try blueprint first, would need to figure out the best way to do that.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wanted to come in and close this out, decided on the SX190 as it fits my needs better then the 230 and I doubt that I will ever find a cleaner boat then merlinjet's SX190. Thank you to all who pitched in with advise! Can't wait to get it out to Powell, Mohave, and June now that summer is here!

Attachments