• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX192 Overtemp Alarm

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Temp sensors have been know to go bad, but most of the time it is a mechanical problem with the water cooling lines, the open-loop system inherently has problems, we have to live with it.
With YDS - you may or may not see the overheating signature. In the meantime, without YDS, can you try to get the boat to throw a code? I don't have the manual right now, but there is a way, something like turn the engine off and hold the display button for 10 seconds and it will display the code, or you have to hold both bottons on for 10 seconds to get the error code display. Is it showing any codes except 01? If it shows 01 which is normal, I guess the YDS may not show anything either.

I know you probably checked the oil level, but just in case, check the oil level. And at any rate, the chances of any damage to your engine are basically NONE at this point, so it is all good, and you will figure it out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, just for your amusement! Incidentally, this is my pump TODAY! After a few test runs when I hit a patch of debris... I did not have any overheating issues, but this just goes to show what can happen, and you will NOT see it at first - this debris was stuck between the impeller and vane pump segment, not accessible through the clean-out port, and not visible through the venturi, at least it was not obvious. Funny thing is, the boat still ran okay, but I just had a drop in RPM of about 300, so I took the pump out at the ramp and found this:
upload_2016-2-21_19-58-59.png

Now, this is not the kind of debris you would miss. But it can be a lot more subtle, with sand or small pebbles clogging the strainer.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will have my YDS next week. Yeah we will get it straightened out. Also maybe try flushing the engine on land and see if that helps. It helped a fellow jetboater one year at Shelbyville. Well, that, rain , jello shots, the threat of drinking a natural light, and some cool friends. LOL @OperationROL

View attachment 33318
LOL! Just holding that can was painful!

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@OperationROL
LOL I don't know what you had gotten yourself into, but I hope you didn't have to drink that thing. Life's too short to drink cheap beer...

@swatski
I was wondering if it would display a code. I looked in the owner's manual while we were on the water but didn't see anything like that. I don't store the boat where I live so I'll have to make a trip out there this week and fumble the buttons around to see if it will do anything...

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Higgy here is the procedure to navigate the menu on my 2011. I hope it's the same for yours.

To get to the system menu, press and hold the "M" and "T" buttons for more than three seconds. You'll then want to scroll down to "Engine Diagnostics" by momentarily pressing both buttons at the same time. On my 242 its #9. I have attached the engine error codes. Also, I've never used it, but there is a "Read Parameters" function listed. This may let you see the real time data from your engine without the YDS. Perhaps someone can comment more on that.

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@OperationROL
LOL I don't know what you had gotten yourself into, but I hope you didn't have to drink that thing. Life's too short to drink cheap beer...

Lmao!!!! You know he did!

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks Bill, I'll have to go out where I store the boat and give that a shot.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Well, 3rd time out after all mods and today on the lake after about 5-8 minutes of wide open throttle , motor drops to 4000 rpm and overheat alarm goes off. Open hatch and it's really not hot in there.
Pretty confused. Sitting waiting for her to cool off.
Oil level is good pissers were flowing good.

Hopefully JerryG has something good to post on his flow control.
My IC is literally cool/cold to the touch. Just baffled.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was water shooting out of the pisser really hot?
Hopefully it is something trivial, like the "usual" partial obstruction of cooling water flow. Could be intake/strainer, a bit of cavitation, even transient. There are many reports of that, same with N/A 1.8l.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yes. Water out of the oil cooler pisser was hot this morning when we came across the lake but no alarm. Headed in and I got the alarm. What's the best way to cool it off? Sitting with hatch open or run the boat slow to pump water through the motor?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Open hatch does not matter much. Personally, I would run it, and pull some reverse maneuvers too, hoping to pass whatever it is that may be obstructing the flow.

If you had any cavitation or were cutting hard turns immediately prior to the overheating event - that would be in line with a temporary reduction in flow, happens a lot in these boats. It seems to come and go, at least per my (one time) experience, and others' reports here. Of course if it persists, you will need to look into it, starting with the strainer probably. Which means pulling the pump to check it out.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was playing around about 2-3 minutes before the alarm went off. A few hard turns and then WOT headed to the dock when it overheated. I can not find any cause aside from that. I didn't pull the pump , but would you after seeing this? Wouldn't it be easier to pull the strainer cover?image.jpeg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was playing around about 2-3 minutes before the alarm went off. A few hard turns and then WOT headed to the dock when it overheated. I can not find any cause aside from that. I didn't pull the pump , but would you after seeing this? Wouldn't it be easier to pull the strainer cover?View attachment 41054
No, I would not! LOL, I forgot you can get a nice view like that (I have a large Lucky 13 cone obstructing the view inside my pump).
I would think I would just run it at this point, see what happens.
I have had it happen in my 190 once. It was out of the blue, right after a hard run pulling some (stupid) tube, and I had felt some cavitation at the beginning of the run. I turned everything off, waited a bit, turned it back on, went forward and reverse, and it was fine - went WOT for a while, no problems. I have read of others experiencing similar temporary cooling issues here.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
How much flow are most seeing at idle from the oil cooler pisser? I have almost none. A slight dribble. If I idle up with the no wake mode it flows a slow stream and is strong with any throttle input. Is this normal?

I also never get any out when flushing.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sounds about right, same here. My flow is not modified in anyway.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Makes me wonder if salt water just sits in there then. For me anyway (Florida)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My new boat had an overheat alarm today :(. After doing all the break in procedure for the engine we cruised around the lake for a few hours. It was time to head home and on the way. I was running WOT (7200 RPM @ 42ish MPH) for about 5 minutes, then cruised another 5 minutes or so at like 5-6k RPMs to the boat launch. Got within a few hundred feet and shut down the boat to prepare my fenders and dock lines before. Went to start the boat and forgot to put the lanyard in. Put it in and when I started the boat I got an engine over temp alarm. Looked over the side to the pissers and they were pissing a strong, steady stream. Turned off the boat and cycled the battery switch off and on to see if maybe it was just some fluke occurrence because I forgot to use the lanyard to start. Went to start the boat and within a few seconds I got the over temp alarm. I creeped back to the dock at no wake and got my truck to retrieve the boat, Got back into the boat and I did not get an over temp alarm. You think something might have just clogged my cooling for a bit and then cleared itself out?

Earlier in the day we were at the north end of the lake close to a dam and you could see what looked like stirred up brown algar]e as I was about to jump off the swim platform. We then headed to the south end of the lake where it's much cleaner and less stirred up. We launched near the south end and as we headed home for the day that's when the alarm went off just before getting to the dock.

Any ideas where to check first? I l]crawled under the boat and I did not see any debris in the intake grate or in the impeller from underneath. Maybe a fluke thing? I'm going to flush tomorrow just to see what happens.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My new boat had an overheat alarm today :(. After doing all the break in procedure for the engine we cruised around the lake for a few hours. It was time to head home and on the way. I was running WOT (7200 RPM @ 42ish MPH) for about 5 minutes, then cruised another 5 minutes or so at like 5-6k RPMs to the boat launch. Got within a few hundred feet and shut down the boat to prepare my fenders and dock lines before. Went to start the boat and forgot to put the lanyard in. Put it in and when I started the boat I got an engine over temp alarm. Looked over the side to the pissers and they were pissing a strong, steady stream. Turned off the boat and cycled the battery switch off and on to see if maybe it was just some fluke occurrence because I forgot to use the lanyard to start. Went to start the boat and within a few seconds I got the over temp alarm. I creeped back to the dock at no wake and got my truck to retrieve the boat, Got back into the boat and I did not get an over temp alarm. You think something might have just clogged my cooling for a bit and then cleared itself out?

Earlier in the day we were at the north end of the lake close to a dam and you could see what looked like stirred up brown algar]e as I was about to jump off the swim platform. We then headed to the south end of the lake where it's much cleaner and less stirred up. We launched near the south end and as we headed home for the day that's when the alarm went off just before getting to the dock.

Any ideas where to check first? I l]crawled under the boat and I did not see any debris in the intake grate or in the impeller from underneath. Maybe a fluke thing? I'm going to flush tomorrow just to see what happens.
I don't know for sure, but could be... nothing.
You were running hard and then stopped, so the engine temp could have crept up a bit without cooling flow, leading to the warning when turned back on. Just speculating, of course, but if you idled a bit after your run it might have had the time to cool off a bit more.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know for sure, but could be... nothing.
You were running hard and then stopped, so the engine temp could have crept up a bit without cooling flow, leading to the warning when turned back on. Just speculating, of course, but if you idled a bit after your run it might have had the time to cool off a bit more.
I think you are dead on. I took the boat out again today and made sure to cruise for a bit if I was hauling butt so it would allow the engine time to cool. Boat ran flawless and no over temp.

Last edited: