• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX195 Max RPM’s

kyboater0503

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone, Have a question, my Max RPM seems to be 7,200 and I’m only getting a top speed of 48-49 MPH, I have about 33 hours on my boat.

With just a cooler, half tank of gas and standard safety gear I find this speed to be under what others are getting?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
What is your elevation? Has it run like that since new, or is it slower than normal now? What maintenance has been done to the boat? What gas are you using?

Last edited:

kyboater0503

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is your elevation? Has it run like that since new, or is it slower than normal now? What maintenance has been done to the boat?
We are in Louisville, KY, so elevation is 540’ roughly where we boat.

I do remember it getting over 50 on our second time out. It is a 2018 we purchased in late July.

10 hr service was done.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Change the spark plugs to start with. Check the oil level. If the oil is overfilled it can cause peak rpms to drop. If that doesn't help, do the ribbon delete. I believe that boat calls for 91 octane, so don't run less or more. Either will cause a drop in performance. These boats are tuned for 10% ethanol gas, so run 91 octane with 10% ethanol.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That is normal. I see that RPM on hot days with warm water temp. When it's cooler I see 7500 RPM+

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

JHall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were you on Cave Run this weekend by some chance?

kyboater0503

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, we actually have only been on Taylorsville Lake so far, hard to beat when you are 8 miles from the boat ramp.

JHall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, we actually have only been on Taylorsville Lake so far, hard to beat when you are 8 miles from the boat ramp.
Ahh... but that lake sucks! lol. Holler if you ever decide to go to a nice lake. Cave Run is much better. Only reason I asked is because I saw a 195 over there Sunday that I'd never seen. I'm there every weekend and recognize most of the 'regulars'

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As noted above, a lot of little factors can cause a fluctuation of RPMs of about 500 or so. In cool weather, average gear on 91 or 93 gas I'm usually at around 7400-7500 RPMS and just over 50 on GPS (52.3 confirmed on GPS in ideal conditions). Pending the wind/current conditions that easily drops into the high 40's. Full gear, full tank, hot day, warm water, >1' chop, 2-4 people, into the current and into the wind I usually still manage 46-48 at about 7200 RPMs which is pretty impressive to me all things considering. The biggest issue I have is dealing with floating seaweed that gets pulled into the impeller and causes a bit of a blockage/cavitation which reduces all the efficiency. Thank god for clean out ports.

I've really noticed wind and weight distribution to be the biggest impacts for the 190/5 series as they are so damn light. Even with a light load and 2 people, the weight of the two persons in the front seats are really in the middle/front of the boat which increases a bit more drag. Even a cross wind causes a a headache while tracking at anything above cruising speed.