• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX210 Bimini when towing

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
OK, so this picture is not my boat, but it will illustrate the point. I have an SX210 and when I tow it I use the pads pictured here and lay the bimini down toward the back. However, the pads move around ( I lost one last summer) and then the bimini scratches the heck out of the boat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the bimini from scratching the side of my boat?

1800023L.jpg

I did that at first, but I thought the manual says to lay it down. How far do you tow, and is it at highway speed? It makes me nervous to travel the highway at 75 with it up and in the boot. @Evil Sports

Yes I tow mine every summer 3.5 hours each way at highway speed. I bungee the end where the zipper ends or it will open and start flapping. Sone one here had 2 snaps installed to fix that. But with the bungee I have not had a issue.

Yes I tow mine every summer 3.5 hours each way at highway speed. I bungee the end where the zipper ends or it will open and start flapping. Sone one here had 2 snaps installed to fix that. But with the bungee I have not had a issue.

Yeah the snap fix was actually mine, posted that one in another thread. Makes me feel better knowing you've had long term success this way. I think I'll change my approach.

I put the pads over the ends of the boot. Put the velcro on the back side.

If you tow with it down I would secure it down somehow so it can't blow around in the wind. If it is up it is already secured.

Have you tried laying it forward. My mechanic said to do that for long trips. I have yet to test that out.

When I had the SX I towed with the Bimini down and the pads in place.the Yamaha deluxe cover I used would go over the Bimini when it was down and kept everything in place and out of the wind.

image.jpg I added a brace from the side pole down to right behind the engine hatch to keep mine from swaying side to side and on the road and the water. I was having the same problem with mine gouging the sides of the boat while laid down. Before the brace I tied it down to one of the grab handles on the swim deck because it bounced while going down the road.

After going to the lake with some other friends and their boat having the brace from the factory, I went home and ordered the stuff to make my own. I put a quick release mount where it sits on the back. This is the best pic I have on my phone right now.

I also bungee my zipper to the pole.

Have you tried laying it forward. My mechanic said to do that for long trips. I have yet to test that out.

I've never towed it laying forward but ive thought about it. I know it lays well that way, it's laying forward on my carport right now. I was just afraid of it blowing up and over. Anyone tried this on the highway?

I towed mine 1400 miles this summer for vacation. Started out with the Bimini in the upright stowed position, but one of the pins in the left rear support worked itself out it started flopping around. Upon further inspection of the pin, the locking mechanism appears to be defective and allowed the pin to come out rather easily vs the pin on the other side, so I'll be replacing the pin.

After that issue, I put the pads on and laid the bimini down in the aft position and on top of the premium shipping cover. That worked well for a while, but eventually one of the pads worked itself loose over a rough stretch of highway in Mississippi and the bimini frame tore a small hole in the cover and caused a small gouge in the gelcoat. Next time I try a long highway drive, I think I 'll try laying it forward with the pads and under the cover as some have suggested. FWIW, I was driving about 65mph.

Also, I had pool noodles over the windshield frame, but one of them worked loose and exposed the middle windshield hinge to the cover. This wore a small hole in the cover over the course of the trip. Despite the cover being tightly secured, it still had a tendency to balloon a bit aft of the windshield at highway speeds. Next time I'll tape the noodles down so they can't go anywhere.

I did tow with the poles in and that did not appear to be an issue....no evidence of any wear and tear on the cover in those areas.

Back