• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX210 drains about 1 gallon of water from drain plug every time I take it out

Sxrmike420

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Every time we go boating and I pull my 2006 SX210 out of the water it drains about a gallon of water from the drain plug. Any idea where to start to figure out why. And on that same note, should I have all of my internal drain plugs left open or should they always be closed? Obviously the main drain should be closed when boating but the "cooler" plug and the 3 inside the engine hatch I have been leaving them open with the thought that if there is any water it will allow it to flow to the rear of the boat so it can drain when I pull it out. Is this right?

Is there a way to make sure I don't have water trapped inside somewhere? I go boating on the river so my boat gets very sandy and Im just wondering what if there is a blockage of sand under the floor somewhere? Should I remove the large floor piece to check? I'm just not sure how the drain system works and I towed my boat home this week to clean it up and whatnot so Id like to give everything a good once-over while I'm at it.

Thanks for any and all help and advice!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drain water out of the hull almost every time after I go out, not lots but some. Could be that the seam behind the rub rail is not sealed, the cover in the cleanout area is not sealed or any number of things. My guess would be the cleanout tray is not sealed and water is getting in there. If you want to seal it use any bathroom caulk or even a removeable caulk if you plan on accessing that area in the future.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could it be your Scupper Valve? Those go bad every now and then and crack. Check piping leading to scupper valve also ... you can see everything by taking off the cleanout tray Babin was referring to. I replaced mine with the stainless one from Attwood.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought that was normal.

Jon D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If any moisture in the engine compartment check to make sure there isn't a hairline crack in either engine block below the manifold down near the starter between the water intake (where hose connects to block) and the temp sensor. Hard to even get a picture of it until you know where it is, especially on starboard engine, as the manifold blocks view. Water seeps/squirts out when pressure goes up. I am wondering if more people have this issue than realize it. Ignorance may be bliss in this case until it isn't. I spent 4 years knowing I was on borrowed time and as of yesterday I have a milk shake in my oil tank so am trying to figure out how to replace an engine. Here is a picture from 2017 when I first discovered it, in addition to the circled crack you can see the deposits from the water running down the block below it.

Hopefully it's just lots of dripping wet people. As mentioned above definitely check that scupper for the deck drain also, I proactively replaced mine with a stainless steel one several years ago and the original plastic one broke very easily when I tried to remove the hose from it on the inside.

BoatEngineWaterLeak.jpg

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2018 is the same way. At first, I thought it was from the anchor locker drain, but gorilla tape over that proved wrong. Now I think it is coming in through the wet storage locker where the clean-out plugs are around the removable panel.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2018 is the same way. At first, I thought it was from the anchor locker drain, but gorilla tape over that proved wrong. Now I think it is coming in through the wet storage locker where the clean-out plugs are around the removable panel.
That was our issue...I sealed the large screwed down panel with clear silicone as suggested by someone on here and now the boat is completely dry - not a drop comes out the drain plug after a day on the water, and the bilge is dry as a bone.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I did the same as 212S, sealed the clean out panel and water is gone. I was getting more like 3 or 4 gallons. Not looking forward to removing the panel, next time.

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depending on your year the scupper valve in these thing are garbage, and on my year, 2009 they ended up moving it. I went to a Ball valve and never had a problem again. I wake surf so I weight down my Yamaha deep in the water, so these things work.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2013 212x has been driving me nuts for years. Yeah - I take on water, and it seems to be getting worse. Its like chasing a ghost. About 2-3 gallons every time. But here's the kicker. I was on Lake Winnie in Wolfboro from August 1 thru August 8. Boat was on our dock for a week straight. We used the boat 6 of the 7 days, and filled the tanks and surfed 5 of the 7 days. We used the boat ALOT, The bilge never kicked on all week. Pulled the boat out on Sunday, the 8th - pulled the plug expecting to see alot of water pouring out. Nothing, maybe 1 quart came out, if that.
Went out yesterday, on Candlewood for 6 hours. Pulled the boat out, and 2 gallons came out.
WTF?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well I thought I fixed the problem with sealing the cleanout panel, nope last two outings 3 to 4 gallons. Fixed the anchor drain, tightened all the hose clamps, sealed panel....Dammit

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sean R Maybe it is leaking at the rub rail? That is a lot of water after you did all the sealing. Maybe, and just taking a shot in the dark here, the clamps are not tight enough around your lower clean out tubes and there is something making it not seal. Take some food coloring and squeeze it into each tube and then run your boat for a bit right before you bring it in and see if you get the color out of the keel, once you are on the trailer.

Is the keel plug seating good and the O ring sealing?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Good idea. I probably won't get to it till Oct/Nov when I bring it home for winterizing (Blasphemy). Crazy thing my bilge never turns on, I tested it a few week ago, when I did the 100hr service and sealed the tray. The boat does hold a lot of water till the pump kicks on. I do pull the keel plug and cleanout plugs after every use so I don't have water sitting in there, it just bugs me.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You actually have a winter in GA :) How cold does the water get? Here once it hits in the low 50's it is game on for boating :)

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The army corps starts dropping the reservoir/lake level around October by December most launches are closed till February. It gets cold just not Motor city ice fishing cold.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On my old 2015 SX210 I would get tons of water to come out of the drain plug after each outing once I put on the lift. On my newer 242X I hardly ever get any water to come out just a little or none at all. But I noticed the bilge pump works a lot more in the new boat and cycles more often when out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dunno, I guess it is hit or miss. I have sealed mine up and don't get much of anything out. Bilge never kicks on and I have water coming over the swim platform from water sports and from large waves rolling over.

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The older SX 210's have a bad design on where the scupper valve is. I sealed mine, and no water at all since.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for my (little) out of topic question... What is a "scupper", and where is this scupper valve? Thanks

adamncincy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I bought, no more issues. Solid, don't see this breaking as the factory valve did.

Product description
Designed for boats with self bailing cockpits, this stainless steel scupper valve with thru-hull fitting features a rubber flapper that opens to drain water out and closes to prevent water from washing back in. Silicone gaskets ensure a watertight seal, while barbed end accepts multiple hose clamps. Attwood Corporation has been an award-winning leader in engineering, testing, and manufacturing the highest quality marine products for over 100 years. We deliver safe and reliable lighting, fuel systems, water systems, seating & pedestals, swim ladders, custom upholstery, and general marine accessories that are easy to install and meet regulatory compliance.