• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX210 Starboard Engine Glitching

Sxrmike420

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, lately when I go to start my boat the Portside starts immediately but sometimes when I try to start the Starboard side nothing happens at all. No click (unless I just cant hear it), and then I wait a few more seconds and try again and then it fires up. My gut tells me its the starter relay solenoid? If it were a dirty contact to the batteries wouldn't I have issues with both engines? And if it were a bad starter wouldn't I hear a click?

Thanks for any and all help!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Odd.

Do you start your port or starboard engine first?

One or two batteries? If two, are they wired one for each engine or one for engines and one for house?

Have you tried to start with the hatch open (to hear a click)?

Check also the cleanout hatch switches. Make sure they are getting pressed down enough. There should be 2 of them--one for each engine. If one of those is intermittent, that would cause starting problems intermittently. Of course, it would also cause the engine to stall when underway and things (so I don't think that is actually the problem here, but gotta rule it out).

Sxrmike420

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I usually always start port side first. And weird but I just replaced both batteries and went outside to check what you said and the clean out switches work fine (wouldn’t even crank with it open) and now I don’t seem to have the delayed start issue (maybe it’s just having a good day or maybe it was battery related). But I do have 2 batteries with a switch and it turned over with the switch on 1, 2, or both so I don’t think it’s 1 for cabin 1 for house, it’s just both doing the same thing. I’ll report back and lift the hatch to see if it clicks next time if it happens again

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would doubt that with two batteries one would be on each engine, although I have seen some stranger things. I would find where the engine cables go to the switch and check them for corrosion or possible one is having an issue on how it is crimped on the eyelet. Then I will do the same for the negatives as well.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would doubt that with two batteries one would be on each engine, although I have seen some stranger things.
Agree, but sometimes when things don't work, its because of those stranger things!
I usually always start port side first. And weird but I just replaced both batteries and went outside to check what you said and the clean out switches work fine (wouldn’t even crank with it open) and now I don’t seem to have the delayed start issue (maybe it’s just having a good day or maybe it was battery related). But I do have 2 batteries with a switch and it turned over with the switch on 1, 2, or both so I don’t think it’s 1 for cabin 1 for house, it’s just both doing the same thing. I’ll report back and lift the hatch to see if it clicks next time if it happens again
Gremlins!

Your switch is usually called an A, B, A+B switch. On A, both engines and the house are hooked to one battery. On B, they are hooked to the other. On A+B, both batteries are hooked to both engines and the house. The theory is you put it on A, start your engines, then put it on A+B to charge both batteries. When you stop to float, you put it on B, so you just draw from B for your stereo and blender and things (saving A for starting). Then when it is time to go, you flip to A, start your engines, and put it back to A+B while you are running (to charge them again).

Anyway, that is really odd. Do check for corrosion (or loose cables) as Charles suggested. Other than that, you may need to wait until it happens again to get a good diagnosis of the problem.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check your engine grounds. Disconnect, clean corrosion, reconnect, wipe with grease to prevent corrosion. I know each engine is grounded to the other with the ground cable that goes between mounts. I had a slow cranking starboard engine....and come to find out the ground cable was never hooked up from the starboard engine to the battery compartment.... was just there in the battery compartment. Once I hooked it up and cleaned all the connections... no more slow start. Look for the simple things first.

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dude if you are a 2006, just replace BOTH starter relay's. Anything electronic is subject to sudden failure. With these boats usually when one goes or is going the next will follow. Its good mechanical SOP to replace BOTH whenever you encounter a problem with one.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Something else I discovered. if your kill lanyard switch clip...the U shaped part is worn out in the middle or you grab your Kawasaki one by mistake... only the port engine starts..... I found this out the hard way..... grabbed the wrong lanyard and walla engine troubles lol