• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230 Bilge

TheGriz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

I'm finding tons of great info on this site. Thanks!!

I just purchased a 2007 SX230 HO. Been doing basic work on it (steering cables, reverse gate cables, scupper valve, etc). I am about to tow from NC up to my cabin in Northern Michigan, where I am debating about mooring for 2 weeks. I'd probably prefer to keep the boat out of the water, but the added cost of taking my boat/trailer on the ferry to my cabin is a big expense.

When taking the boat out for the day, I have 45-60 seconds worth of water to drain. I'm chasing down the source of this water, assuming it is associated with the cleanout plugs, since the previous owner caulked them in solid (sheesh) rather than rebuilding them.

The bilge pump is located in the rear of the engine compartment. It seems that multiple inches of water in the true bilge area must accumulate before this pump will kick in.

I hear the bilge pump kick on and off when I toggle the switch. I've read accounts that the pump is automatic regardless of switch position, however, filled the bilge up with about 3ogal of water switch off and didn't get any pumping. I do get pumping when the switch is on. Is there any trick to this? LIke the battery switch must be in position "X"?

Some other bilge/mooring questions:

1. Looking for thoughts on installing a second float activated bilge pump in the actual transom bilge area and wire it (switched) directly to the battery vs leaving the engine compartment bilge switch on while mooring.

2. Since the bilge pumps will only kick on when it needs to pump, I assume this is a very limited draw on power. Should I consider adding a temporary mooring battery (like a motorcycle 12v) for leaving the boat for a few days without running engines if necessary?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As wired from the factory the bilge pump is only on when the switch is on. The factory bilge pump checks for water every few minutes. If it finds water it pumps it.

I installed a second bilge pump in the middle of the bilge with a water sensor - https://jetboaters.net/threads/installing-second-bilge-pump-in-yamaha-sx230.1889/
I find that the bilge pump in the bilge does not kick on until after the factory pump is pumping. It has only every kicked on when testing.

The factory bilge pump will run your battery down over three + days. Adding a float switch would resolve that issue.

kevinmoeller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will leaving the bilge switch (pump) on all the time burn up the pump?

lenvo65

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
For the stock pump, I believe it will run your battery out before burning out the pump. As noted above the factory pump “looks”for water every 2 or 3 minutes and will pump as long as it finds water in the bilge; no water, no pumping. i wet slipped last season with only the factory pump and found even with a 10amp solar panel hooked into the house battery I could only get 3 or 4days before the “looking” wore down the house battery.

Over the winter I put a second bilge on a float switch in the true bilge under the cleanout tray in the back, wired with a fused switch direct to the house battery. This season wet slipped again and only use the float switch bilge when away, have not had the battery run down at all. As long as you are not taking in water somewhere the float switch pump will not draw on the battery ar all, while the factory pump will.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with the gospel of Bruce!

Second pump with a float will keep your boat safe.

I add
A third pump won't kill you (I added 2 total)

The tsunami 1200 I used has a weird hose size. A pump with a common hose would be nice so you can use nylon reinforced hose without it being expensive. I paid too much for my hose, but it all worked out.

Broken hose=non working pump, so don't skimp there either.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put in a second pump with a float switch under the water boxes. It was a pain, but i was doing the scupper. During testing it really doesn't get more water than the stock location. If i did it again if probably install it in the engine compartment with a float, or a pump with an internal float. This "auto" setup where it cycles every few minutes is bs.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I leave my bilge pump switch on any time the boat is in the water. I've gone a week without using the boat and had no trouble starting it. I think it would take a long time to run the battery down.