• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sx230 surf setup

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, new here with our new to us boat but not new to the surfing. I have found where someone used wakemaker and had them do a customer sac for the back port locker/under seat area it was 1300lb compacity (price point $509)

If I went that route how much more weight would be needed, I know it' pending people on board ect. Would another 300-500lb brick on the back swim deck add that little extra umph..

Does it need to be a custom one for that locker, has anyone else found a good combo to get close to that weight without sitting in back seats?

The wake wedge seems like the way to go to clean up the wake, so expensive though.

Anyways thanks for any direction you can give and glad to be apart of the group!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, new here with our new to us boat but not new to the surfing. I have found where someone used wakemaker and had them do a customer sac for the back port locker/under seat area it was 1300lb compacity (price point $509)

If I went that route how much more weight would be needed, I know it' pending people on board ect. Would another 300-500lb brick on the back swim deck add that little extra umph..

Does it need to be a custom one for that locker, has anyone else found a good combo to get close to that weight without sitting in back seats?

The wake wedge seems like the way to go to clean up the wake, so expensive though.

Anyways thanks for any direction you can give and glad to be apart of the group!
@jcyamaharider has had a great write-up on something like that - same boat as yours, albeit he more recently got a newer boat. There is some really good info: https://jetboaters.net/threads/ballast-3-0-another-ballast-upgrade-plan.8164/
You would not need any custom bags, although @0627Devildog was working with WakeMakers on some design that would fit the Yamaha tiered platform.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A buy-in would be great, my wife wanted to build a chicken coup and green house so I might get a wedge if there is group buy.

Is there much difference between brands of ballast bags? I have friend who can get fatsac... not sure if I want to throw a pump over side to start or go straight in and plumb a system to fill/drain

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A buy-in would be great, my wife wanted to build a chicken coup and green house so I might get a wedge if there is group buy.

Is there much difference between brands of ballast bags? I have friend who can get fatsac... not sure if I want to throw a pump over side to start or go straight in and plumb a system to fill/drain
I would say you would definitely want to experiment a little bit, a throw over side pumps are great for that.
I have a couple of those that I'm no longer using, aerial or origin brand, if you want one I'm happy to send it to you, they have generic blue connectors. As far as bags, I don't know if there is that much difference in the quality of the bags but quick release connectors are very nice to have.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you can also try to build your own "mud flap" wedge, it's certainly not a "bolt it on" wake wedge but for the budget minded and those with time to build it does help,

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how does it connect just bolt into underside if made it myself? my biggest thing just dont have the extra time with our busy season starting (wife and i own/run pest control company). I wanna be on lake not building stuff when i am not working.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes, it just building it, time is money, sometimes it's better to pay for someone else to do the testing and manufacturing,

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2009 SX230. I use about 2500-2700lbs of ballast and my homemade version of a wake wedge and get a nice surf wake.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Wisefam22 Everyone has pretty much said everything that i would tell you except you need 1600 lbs minimum with your boat to surf using a Wake Wedge. Weighted surf side rear cabin area and on the swim deck. My ballast post documents that you do not need a custom bag under the port seat and will fill the entire compartment. Other then that just have fun.

As for a group buy, slammed at work so I don't want to be slammed at the other work yet.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As for a group buy, slammed at work so I don't want to be slammed at the other work yet.
Oh, you are not getting off the hook so easily!
Slammed at work?.. Well, that's why God gave us night shifts. LOL.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh, you are not getting off the hook so easily!
Slammed at work?.. Well, that's why God gave us night shifts. LOL.

--
One shift operation here @swatski . It is VERY hard to find good machinists these days that actually know what they are doing. Most of these " kids" think if they can program it on the machine then it will run. They have no clue what a good cut sounds like or looks like. You can tell a lot from a metal chip if you know what you are looking for.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I am going to get at least the 800 under seat if the custom does add 500 more lb like it states on wakemaker to keep it hidden and wife happy might spend little extra.

I found thread and saww at end wake makers didn' want to help with basg for the back platform but I took measurements laat night and I plan on sending to them and see if they will entertain idea.

It will cost more but if I can get enough weight from those 2 bags and keep wife happy then that' what I gotta do.