• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230 the right Boat

MikeNikki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,
we are looking to get back into the Boating world, after a long dry Spell.
Last time was riding around in a BAJA 24' foot Boat, so top speed was fun.
Our River / Lake has a Speed Limit of 50 on it and with kids, more looking for something a bit different.
Looking for a sporty / Fun ride.
Heading out for some Tubing, Wake boarding, hanging out at the Sandbar and just general Fun.
Sure dropping a line in the Water will happen, but not the main concern.
Since we are located on Water, but have to deal with a shallow or very narrow entry into our Bay. Which has plenty of depth.

I think the SX230 would be a good fit, just looking to get some input from other Owners.

Thanks

Mike

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would try to find an AR230 or plan on putting a tower on the SX if you plan on wakeboarding. Other than that these are GREAT boats for what your planning to be doing.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our 07 AR230 has been a great boat. Very low cost of ownership as far as maintenance and winterizing. Ours needed a new stereo/speakers and a good wetsand/buff/wax on the gelcoat and canvas. The MR-1's are solid although a bit loud as they run up to 10,200 rpm's. Ride quality greatly improves with fins and trim tabs. We use our tower for many purposes now, even though I did not care much for it when we bought the boat and briefly thought of removing it until I found it benificial.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the SX version and when I was purchasing I was looking for an AR but found the SX at a great price and have not missed the tower yet. The tower is certainly a nice to have if you plan to wakeboard, but there are many great SXs out there too.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have an SX230. Although the draft is 16 inches, I try not to motor in less than three feet to avoid drawing sand/sediment into the jets.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I searched for a 230, AR was first choice, but were scarce as they are now. The key to finding a good used one? Wait until someone on this board decides to sell Many will appear, you just have to be patient. I bought two Yamahas off the boards, and have never looked back. The 230 is superb, virtually maintenance free (annual oil change/spark plugs) and regular cleaning. Ive been out on mine maybe 5 times in last 3 seasons, and still can't get my boss to let me sell it. Why keep it? Maybe one day she will relent and when she does, on the board it goes and it will be sold in a week if not sooner. So long as it is priced properly. But don't sweat a non tower if an SX appears first. Used Yamahas are tough to find right now, so don't dismiss a 212 either. If you are shopping for a 230, price is a concern or you would be also looking at the 240s. Patience is the key. Fun boats. Here is my first day out years ago, on my new "used" SX230 bought in 2013..video was not posted until 2014.

and father's day this past 8 years later. Boat still runs as it did in 2013....

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I absolutely love my 06 SX230. I got a Big Air Cuda tower and their Super Shade bimini for it, and it’s just awesome! The Monster MTK is also a common option, but I went with the Cuda for two reasons: it’s much stronger, due to its wider stance, and since it attaches to the side as opposed to the top of the gunnels, I am able to still use the snap on cover. 68EA785A-F63A-4992-8E2B-81622467ABA1.jpeg

MikeNikki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses.
Found a AR at a Dealer I bought boats from 20 Years ago, small world.
Talked to the Manager and got some info on the Boat.
2005 AR230
Table, cushions, bimini Top, Boat Cover (worn) all included
Trailer in good shape.
est. hours 450-500 will be checked
Interior normal wear, one tear on the rear Backrest.
Just been traded in on a new Yamaha Jet Boat. Been serviced at the same dealer as well, in the last couple years.

For the shallow water, we have a good size Bay in our Back yard. Just a narrow entrance that leads to the River / Lake. My neighbor makes it through with a 3 Ft draft, but gets stuck once a while when he doesn't have a lookout. The Channel is maybe about 5-6 ft. Wide.
With the Shallower Draft of a Jet boat, the Channel will widen to about 25-30 ft, with an 24-32 inch Depth.

Engine's have an est. Life of 1500 - 2000 hours is what I am reading, seems to be a solid.
Thanks