• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX240 rear speakers

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone added rear facing speakers to an SX240 similar to those found on the limiteds? I would love to see a picture if this has been done.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the link. There are several options for mounting which is nice. Now just have to decide on speaker manufacture.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am adding my JL MX 650's to the rear transom on my SX240. They are a massively overbuilt physically. The wash onto the deck isn't going to hurt them. I won't be playing them underway, so they won't have to endure range of motion against the wash. They are never submerged there, except when backing into the lake with the trailer, and then they aren't submerged but that deck does flood up to that transom wall, just not up more than an inch, and that is barely to the lower grille of the speaker, if that. They are as durable a speaker that is made out there, and have the best sound qualities among any of the available speakers. I considered having the backrests cut and reshaped, but the cost and appearance didn't appeal to me as much as the first option. And the idea of muting them behind the cushion isn't an option to me.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am adding my JL MX 650's to the rear transom on my SX240. They are a massively overbuilt physically. The wash onto the deck isn't going to hurt them. I won't be playing them underway, so they won't have to endure range of motion against the wash. They are never submerged there, except when backing into the lake with the trailer, and then they aren't submerged but that deck does flood up to that transom wall, just not up more than an inch, and that is barely to the lower grille of the speaker, if that. They are as durable a speaker that is made out there, and have the best sound qualities among any of the available speakers. I considered having the backrests cut and reshaped, but the cost and appearance didn't appeal to me as much as the first option. And the idea of muting them behind the cushion isn't an option to me.
I mounted mine behind the seats and couldn't be happier. They sounds awesome, I think, and I don't believe they hamper the sound at all. Didn't have to take the seat off, just cut the hole and mounted the speaker. Didn't worry about adding a grill seeing how the seat covers them.

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is exactly where I wanted to mount them but was concerned about the force of the water pushing on them. You had a good idea about not having them on while you are running which should solve that problem. What kind of amp are you running to power the JL's. I looked into buying the limited rear seats to mount the speakers in a similar fashion, but the seat backs are more than I wanted to replace of the bat on a new boat. Would love to see pictures once you get them mounted.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I changes the 4 stock speakers in the rear cockpit and bow with the same jl mx650's, and I am adding two mid cabin 650's for a total of 8, including the rear transom speakers. I have two JL amps to power them in 3 separate zones and a separate zone for the subwoofer. The amps are the 600/6 and the 500/3.

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I added them to the swim platform. Love them. No issues with the water washing up on them so far. Had them for 1 season.
What kind did you decide to go with and are you planning on switching them separately of leaving on all the time? Sorry, lots of questions.

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind did you decide to go with and are you planning on switching them separately of leaving on all the time? Sorry, lots of questions.
I put in kenwood KFC-1652 MRW 6.5 inch. Got them on Amazon for $53. I ran the wires from the back speakers to the new ones.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted mine behind the seats and couldn't be happier. They sounds awesome, I think, and I don't believe they hamper the sound at all. Didn't have to take the seat off, just cut the hole and mounted the speaker.
@Jim Robeson , do you have any pics of this? How did you mount them behind the seat without removing it? Thanks!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

@tdonoughue ... All I did was drill a hole behind the seats that was just big enough for the speaker and to leave me something to screw to. I think those are 6.5 speakers so my hole was like 5 inches max. Then I just wired them into the speakers that were located under the back seats. If I want to have more sound out the back of the boat I just use the fade to do so. The sound is really good as the cushion deflects it under and out. I also wired in an amp to the head unit which I have under the drivers console. I did not use any speaker covers since the speakers are behind the cushions. I did not move any of the hoses that you see now. Just put the speaker where I could at least get three screws to hold it place. FYI...make sure and cover everything up with a blanket or something as there will be a lot of dust from drilling those holes. The screws are long enough through the speaker and fiberglass and don't even come close to the back of the cushion.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah! I get it! Neat. Perhaps I try that... Seems way too simple. Thinking of getting some Polk's for inside, which will leave me with about 4 extra speakers I could put somewhere... <grin>

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It was really easy. The hardest part was covering everything so I didn't get fiberglass dust on everything. And they are very secure. Good luck!! Oh, I reached up under the seat to see just how far the speakers would be. If you look at the picture, I could feel where the vent hoses were attached so I knew that they would be far enough behind the seat that you really can't see them unless you actually look under the seat back.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ah! I get it! Neat. Perhaps I try that... Seems way too simple. Thinking of getting some Polk's for inside, which will leave me with about 4 extra speakers I could put somewhere... <grin>
TIm, @tdonoughue , those polks are cheap enough you could just give away or sell the seaworthy speakers and offer the grilles to anyone that needs them. Buy 4 more polks, those seaworthy speakers aren't worth keeping! They are PAPER!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, yes, Mel. But you forget: I am CHEAP! :)

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm resurrecting this...I know I asked this once before...maybe over there....has anyone put spa speakers on a boat?

Like these:

ad1001d.jpg

I don't have the same placement choices the newer boats present and I'd like to stay away from putting big holes that low to the waterline by placing them on the swim platform.

These I could place just aft of the rear hatches. I don't need loud - I have tower speakers for that. I just want to augment the sound from the cockpit - it's a bit muffled way back there. I was thinking that these small ones would clear it up a bit.

Thoughts?

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Milennia-Pop-Up-Spa-Speaker-3-Element-60W---4-ohm-P9998C789.aspx

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always liked that idea and even thought about that until I went the speakers behind my swimdeck seatbacks. I don't see why they shouldn't work.

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally bit the bullet and cut the new speakers into the swim platform. I believe the Limited S runs the same stock head unit, but has 6 speakers instead of the stock 4 on the SX240. Does anyone know what wires are used for the rear speakers on the limited S. The wiring harnesses appear to be the same, but trying to trace the wires down from the head unit to the back is horrible. My other question would be if anyone has the wiring diagram for the 2013 boats? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!