• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

T.V.-XL's Failure and Silicone Seal Failure

ccrayjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, I had TV-XL's and my 20 hour service done 3 weeks ago and took the boat out for the 2nd time. The outer port bolt came completely out and was never seen again. I noticed this when I went to put it 242 in reverse and it would not go into reverse and everything when downhill from there ... see yellow arrow. The dealer came out and fixed the bolt this morning and I had to take another day off work... not happy. While the service guy was out he noticed this silicone ring had come out too... see red arrow. He told me not to put the boat back in my boat house b/c it could fill w/ water and sink. What is the silicone seal ring and why should it fail w less than 40 hrs??? Thanks! Please excuse the boat, didn't have time to wash!Boat TV Bolt.jpg

Wow, I'm surprised that bold could come out. I just took off my TVs while I'm working on my impeller bearings and It was REALLY hard to get out. I put medium strength Loctite on it when I installed them so I expected it. Get with Will at jetboatpilot.com, I know he'll send you a bolt for it....Blue (medium) Loctite this time!

As for the silicone, it's strange that it would be missing but it's true, water can get right into the boat through that crack. Easy fix, The jet assembly comes off in less that 30 minutes and you will just need to silicone it and bolt is back on. What do the masses think about using 3m 4200 (NOT 5200) instead of silicone?

Here's my saga and you should find disassembly info all there to get it apart. https://jetboaters.net/threads/impeller-bearings-trashed-pics.2822/ It's as easy as the linkages and 5 bolts and the entire jet pump assembly comes right out. Then just the bolts for the plate against the hull.

Last edited:
Its not on the jet assembly. Its on the hull next to the jet. There is one on each side.
The service guy that came out took all the bolts out and re-installed them with loc-tite again. I noticed it knocked some of the paint off too.

Its not on the jet assembly. Its on the hull next to the jet. There is one on each side.
The service guy that came out took all the bolts out and re-installed them with loc-tite again. I noticed it knocked some of the paint off too.
Maybe you need to take a closer picture. If it's on the plate that is against the hull that the jet assembly mounts to then that's bad...not sure where else it could come from back there.

I bet the installer did not use the loctite that is provided in the kit.

The service guy said it came out from behind the bolt to the left of the red arrow... there is a piece of rubber cut like a pizza. The installer said they used loc-tite to install, but I can't see how since the bolt was completely gone.

If the silicone donut came out of the hole with the pizza cut black rubber, you have NO problem at all and your boat won't sink. That is actually your exhaust opening they the hull, and that silicone only oozed out when the components were installed. It is only excess. That is very common for guys to find a silicone donut that comes out of that.

Yep, that's exactly where it came out from. The piece was quite big and didn't look like excess, but I hope you are right!! Thank you!!

Mel is right. There are pictures of those donuts on this site and the other.

If the silicone donut came out of the hole with the pizza cut black rubber, you have NO problem at all and your boat won't sink. That is actually your exhaust opening they the hull, and that silicone only oozed out when the components were installed. It is only excess. That is very common for guys to find a silicone donut that comes out of that.

On my boat the exhaust holes are to the right of each nozzle....I had to look at it crossways with curled brow to imagine them on the "wrong" side. I never would have considered the exhaust hole on that side. Glad it isn't serious.

@ACRDSPORT14 Never said it was the TV fault. I said it was a TV failure.. LOL

Point being that if someone is researching the various types of fins and finds a thread titled "TV failure"... Well, you can understand how the guys selling it might not appreciate the title of the post. We just need to be careful how we word things that's all. Not trying to make you feel like we're jumping on you. Not meant to be mean. We just don't want to damage the product's reputation without just cause.

Reality is, it was improperly installed. This is why I do my own work. First, I know my own abilities and I know it will get done right. Second, if something DOES fail due to installation, I know I didn't overpay someone to install it wrong.

@ccrayjr. I would remove the bolt on the other TV to make sure there is some residual Locktite on those threads. If not that would prove to me the TVs were installed incorrectly. If there is Locktite on those threads it still could have been missed on the failed side. The blue locktite is used to provide enough friction so a bolt can NOT back out on it's own but can be removed by hand whereas the red Locktite is more permanent but can still be removed with difficulty. It sounds like you had the dealer install these. If that's the case they should re install them correctly and fix any resultant damage.

This is a good reason why we have become a "band of brothers". Either we don't like what we're being charged or we don't like the quality of the work we're paying too much for.

Sorry to hear of your issue. I have to agree that this points to improper installation and since you didn't do it yourself, I am even more inclined to think that. Will at JetBoat Pilot is a great resource to this forum and provides exceptional customer service. I am sure if you give him a call or shoot him a PM, he will go out of his way to help you out.

If you need any help with your Thrust Vector XL's let us know. We offer a lifetime warranty on all of the parts so if you lose one or damage one or whatever, we will replace it or exchange it. Call anytime. 850-960-3236.

Back