• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tach - all lights on solid, not flashing

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

New to the JB.net site. I have been on the YJB site for some time and found a link to here from there. I posed this question on YJB and never did get a response so I thought I would try it here.

2005 AR230HO When I start the port engine all of the lights in the Tach come on and stay on. I want to say that this occurred at the end of last season, but I don't recall for sure 100%. This year when I got the boat out of storage I added a BlueSea second battery switch and ACR. After the install I started each engine to make sure the batteries were set up correctly. That is when I noticed the three warning lights in the Tach all on for the port engine. I have searched for two weeks for some sort of a solution or direction to proceed in terms of diagnosing and resolving this issue. Last week I ordered the YDS cable and software and am currently awaiting its arrival.

So, without any more detail that above does anyone have a guess as to what might be causing this?

Thanks
Stefan

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, I don't remember and instance where someone had the lights stay on. They will flash a sequence as an indicator but looking through my service manual I didn't see anything about a constant "on" being possible. I don't think the YDS will help you but it will be good to have anyways.

just guessing I would say the battery hookup caused it some how. Is it possible for you to disconnect and run it off the original battery to see if it will go away?
also I believe it's easy to disconnect the entire rpm/indicator gauge and swap it to the other unit to see if the problem follows it,

Lack of responses shouldn't be a problem here, I'm sure plenty more will chime in,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the engine run ok, if so, how long did you have it run for, just start up, 5 minutes or did you take it out for the day?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here are the codes for the engines. These codes signify the flashing sequence. 13 - would be 1 short flash, pause, 3 short flashes, and repeat. Morse Code!!!

I do not recall seeing anything about light constant on, but will look further.

Yamaha Engine Codes

Code Symptom

01 No malfunction
13 Incorrect pickup coil signal
15 Incorrect engine temp sensor signal
18 Incorrect throttle position sensor signal
19 Incorrect battery voltage
23 Incorrect intake air temperature sensor signal
24 Incorrect cam position sensor signal
29 Incorrect intake air pressure sensor signal
48 Incorrect data transmission
53 Exhaust temp sensor malfunction
54 Incorrect bypass valve motor signal
63 Incorrect intake air system signal

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just noted you ordered YDS. The codes above are out of the Tech Manual, Section 9. It says if you see one of these codes, then hook up the YDS to help troubleshoot. I doubt YDS will help with what you are seeing based on what I read in the Tech Manual.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick responses. I only ran each engine for a few seconds in the driveway without any water connected just to make sure that both engines would fire up after the battery install. I haven't put her in the water yet as I was planning to install the shutoff valves in the cooling lines and I want to swap out the scupper.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
also I believe it's easy to disconnect the entire rpm/indicator gauge and swap it to the other unit to see if the problem follows it,
@Stefan Fromm welcome!

I'm with @Scottintexas , if it reoccurs on the port engine swap the connector cable on the back of the Tach, that will show if it is a Tach problem or something coming from the ECU.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Stefan Fromm
i had planned to do the shutoff valves when i first got the boat, too. i eventually decided on the "hose pinch pliers" a lot of us here keep on board. no install required, easily replaceable, and aren't going to alter the flow within your lines like the valves when not in use.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm betting there is an improper wire hookup at the acr and or batt switch.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was buried in the RGB Led discussion when I got notification of your post @Murf'n'surf. I know what I want to do next!!! BTW, I tried to avoid screwing up the wiring by having my Electrical Engineer buddy come do the install for me. On Wednesday (first evening I will have time) I'm going to swap the connections on the tachs as has been mentioned above and see what happens. I sure do appreciate all the suggestions.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Stefan Fromm
i had planned to do the shutoff valves when i first got the boat, too. i eventually decided on the "hose pinch pliers" a lot of us here keep on board. no install required, easily replaceable, and aren't going to alter the flow within your lines like the valves when not in use.
I decided the valves were a lot of trouble for something that would either get used very little or not at all for years. I did have to pinch one side last year at the lake when my impeller bearing went out about 5 miles from the lakehouse. It was brutal on one engine so I unpinched and went for it hoping the bearings would hold together....they did. But I was glad to have the pinch pliers.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-pinch-pliers/=wqw8ld I keep them sprayed with wd40 and sealed in a plastic bag so they will be ready when I need them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see the problem---------------->"Electrical Engineer buddy" :)

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf well said...I do have to keep him focused on the big picture!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I feel stupid. I think what I was seeing as lights on (they weren't as bright as the lights are when they flash at startup) is simply residual afterglow. The glow stays for a few seconds even after the ignition is turned off and the key pulled.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad is was a simple resolution. It is funny how sometimes we create & solve our own problems. Good job!