• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tach Lights on '05 SX230HO Faintly Illuminating?

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally had a chance to adjust and slightly slow down the port side idle so the no wake mode would engage. Also adjusted the throttle tension. Anyway, while I'm tinkering I thought I'd ask you guys. Ever since we bought the SX, both outside tach lights (engine and maybe oil if I remember) just barely light up. You don't really even notice it in the sun. I just happened to be under the cover while working on her yesterday and noticed them again. They light up brightly and flash when in no wake mode, but return to faintly lighting up when disengaged. I had the port ECU burn up and rebuilt several years ago and all injectors cleaned and flow matched. However, I think the lights were doing that before then. Oil levels are fine and recently changed. Never had any low oil or overheating or anything. Seems to run perfectly. Any ideas why these lights might be illuminating? I may pull the dash and swap the tach and see if the issue follows. You know, (thinking out loud) I think they might be doing this even when the engine is off... gotta be a short in the gauge...I'll check again soon... Just want to make sure it's not something wrong.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine illuminate slightly. You notice it at night for sure. It is clear when they are solid or blinking.

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. They are solid. Very faint outside lights (not the middle one) only on the port side. Oh it's a definite difference between when they are lit up in no wake mode.

I'm just always worried about the ECU. Originally burned up outputs on 2 injectors on the port ECU so they stuck open pouring fuel in the lake. Shut off valves were well worth the time! Sent it off to have it fixed... reinstalled to have it burn out on the very next trip. They charged me another $250 because they said the other two burned up! I argued why they didn't just replace all 4 outputs while they were in there the first time. Anyway, been running fine since. Still far cheaper than a new/used ECU. Definitely keep the injectors clean! They advised that the the ECU OEM outputs are weak and easily fail with clogged injector filters. I've sent all off and had them cleaned and flow matched plus installed water separators/filters on each engine as a safeguard. I'll get out there again in the next few days to tinker with the lights some more. Sorry for rambling. Don't want anyone to go through that mess if it might be preventable.