• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tachometer isn't working even after replacing with a new one

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello,

My port side Tachometer wasn't working so I ordered a new one, started the engine still didn't work. Connected the tach into the starboard side connector and sure enough the tach works. So the tach isn't the problem, what could be the issue?

(2005 Yamaha sx230)

Thanks

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would assume it’s unplugged between the tach and the motor. I believe there’s a plug connection where your YDS connection is. That’s in the right rear storage hatch behind the white circle cover on back wall.

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll check that out, the power wire isn't giving me power at the tach connection, so in the meantime I routed a wire from the starboard side tach to the port, tach comes on only after the starboard is turned on.

Thanks though I will check that area tomorrow

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it’s not the plug in the storage go to your ECU box above that motor on the aft wall. Look for loose connection or even a blown fuse. Although I think the fuse in there is a fuse for the entire starter and ecu.

PaganoC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

My port side Tachometer wasn't working so I ordered a new one, started the engine still didn't work. Connected the tach into the starboard side connector and sure enough the tach works. So the tach isn't the problem, what could be the issue?

(2005 Yamaha sx230)

Thanks
I had the exact same problem last year with my 2005 AR230, I did the same thing I went out and got a new tach it didn't solve the problem either. So I switched my ECU from the good engine that the tach was working on and put it on the other side with the bad tach. It worked perfectly fine. I then hooked up the other ECU and the tach would not work on that side any longer . So I replaced the ECU and the problem was solved. It worked perfectly all summer long.

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Came across this thread while troubleshooting the same problem on my 2005 sx230. Found that there was no 12v at the tach.. Turns out you have to disconnect the 12v to the tach in order to connect the YDS system. Reconnected the single wire connector to the YDS connector and all was well in the world.

Attachments

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interested in this...any more pics BadE?
No other photos, but you will find two of these connections behind the circular panel on the starboard rear hatch. They are pretty easy to identify as they only have a single red wire (12v to tach) on one side of the connector, but three different wires on the other side of the connector.