• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on water after a new engine install

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello all,
I was hoping some of you fine gentlemen may be able to help me. I recently put in a new port side engine in my 18 yam 242 LSE. It was a takeout with only 18 hours on it. I finally got it in and running and everything seems to be good. I believe I have the couplers pretty much aligned. Pulled it apart and adjusted like 3 times but it seems like I had to still slightly lift the final time still but much at all. When I feel it now it’s perfectly even and flush.

Now I have been noticing my automatic bilge turning on and even occasionally to the red. There are 3 modes on this factory bilge: green is on and monitoring, blue is when it’s working and red is for high water level. I have had it come on in the past but there is definitely more water getting in now. It seems like the new engine has got a slight bit more of rough vibration than the other one. From the sound, it almost sounds like the impeller is flopping around in there a little more.

It has always seemed to have gotten some water in through the swim platform when I would get the wake hitting me while stopping at low speeds, especially when someone is sitting back there.

I have felt back in the back of the firewall where the impeller goes through and it felt dry from what I can tell. It seems to get worse at high speeds/RPM’s. I’ve let it sit overnight and doesn’t seem to be taking on any at stand still. You guys have any ideas? Or where you guys would start?

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas

Does any water accumulate in the bilge when you are just idling? Maybe, one of your hoses beneath the swim platform is disconnected.

Does any water accumulate in the bilge when you are just idling? Maybe, one of your hoses beneath the swim platform is disconnected.
Man I don’t think so but I’m not sure. I don’t seem to have any accumulation when I’m sitting there idling. I have been idling a while inspecting and checking the oil and everything and I didn’t see any kind of accumulation. Would it be coming in fast or slow? Do you mean the hoses next to the clean outs?

Yes, if you are wake surfing, that may be the source.

I mean water catching up and flooding the deck is a good possibility. Your hoses are probably connected. You could open the inspection covers under the swim deck and look there for water spraying somewhere.

hmmm, I wonder if you misaligned your coupler and killed that intermediate shaft seal....I speak from experience, just rebuilt mine for the same reason. Try running the motor and looking in the engine bay and see if you have water coming in at the shaft. It will usually come in while running, but not stopped.

Did you maybe bang into the scupper valve hose when installing?

Positioning those engines in the bay can be difficult and I wouldn’t be hard to smack into the fitting and crack it.

Ok I’ll check all that under swim platform out. I know I probably am getting some in there but I was thinking it was through that access panel which doesn’t seem very sealed off. I don’t know that that’s my only problem l.

hmmm, I wonder if you misaligned your coupler and killed that intermediate shaft seal....I speak from experience, just rebuilt mine for the same reason. Try running the motor and looking in the engine bay and see if you have water coming in at the shaft. It will usually come in while running, but not stopped.

That’s kind of where my mind was headed from the beginning. However, I can’t seem to see it when at idle or even in gear and less than 10 mph. Can you easily see the seal or is there a gap it could be behind between that firewall and the actual skin of the boat ? Almost like an inner/outer fender. I have looked back there and even felt back there just under the shaft and couldn’t feel any moisture even after high speeds . I’ll have to have someone haul ass in it while I feel back there I guess. Just so I know, what could happen possibly if it was the seal. Is it possible for that to give? Is it possible for it to give and let in too much water if I don’t see it and happen to be away from shore? How much of a pain is that to replace?

Last edited:
With the coupling cover removed, you should be able to see if water is coming in through bearing seal. Did coupling align easily when reinstalling motor? Why was motor removed?

I had what I think was detonation in 1 cylinder after a spark plug blew out of place. Very painful memory now
I thought it was ok, this being the first time I had done it. I had it together with the rubber coupling out and it seemed to be adjusted good but when I pulled the engine back to reapply the coupler, it seemed like it would always want to fall lower when I’d be putting it back in place. I was having to somewhat lift it up to get it back into final position. I did it like 3 times.

I’ll get someone to drive at higher speeds today and see if I can see any leaking. Maybe it’s only doing it at low rpms. Is there any chance of that seal blowing out and taking too much water if it is that until I can figure out the problem? I can’t seem to find a diagram of that particular seal to see how it’s made.

@JetboatBrad Here is example of coupler clearance. Shims are often necessary. Not sure if this applies to your leak situation, but can definitely impact seal longevity.
1623770619594.png

@JetboatBrad Here is example of coupler clearance. Shims are often necessary. Not sure if this applies to your leak situation, but can definitely impact seal longevity.
View attachment 153531

Yea I had that diagram and had it within tolerance. Seems like when I backed it out to apply rubber shaft coupler and put it in its final position? It would fall a little. So after the 3rd time I said F it and again picked up slightly with one hand and slid it into final position. I’m way better at the process now and probably would have done better knowing what I know now.

Does anyone know which part group on partzilla that the rear seal would be under? I.E.:jet pump 2. I will go ahead and redo that rear seal but I just wanted to know if it would be ok to run until I got new parts in

Running boat is your call. It might help identify the cause of water getting in. Low rpms and close to dock seems reasonable. There are two oil seals and pressed on bearings involved. I would be slow to take on that project until you are totally confident you have found the problem.

Thank you Wreks, I’m actually going to take her out right now and have a look. Do you know what I would replace if I were to have that in a bind? I will definitely make sure that’s the source before I go trying to tackle that one. Where exactly is the scupper valve that might be another source? I’ve been trying to locate that but want to verify I’m looking at the right thing

Here is one. Yours should be similar. It has a little rubber flap that allows water to drain out but not in. Scupper valve

It could also be the water coolant lines. I have one that only leaks a little at high rpm going into the oil cooler. A way to check it to completely dry the area around the motors. Take it for a quick rip and see if there is any water indication forward of the coupler.

Thank you guys. I’m trying both those now. I reached my head back there to the back of the engine while my buddy took her up to 35-40 and I couldn’t see much of anything coming out. A few drops coming out of the main exhaust pipe. I had a boat full when it was popping on but I’m not sure that would matter to that driveline seal. Or am I mistaken?

Thank you guys. I’m trying both those now. I reached my head back there to the back of the engine while my buddy took her up to 35-40 and I couldn’t see much of anything coming out. A few drops coming out of the main exhaust pipe. I had a boat full when it was popping on but I’m not sure that would matter to that driveline seal. Or am I mistaken?

I was trying to take a video on here but it won’t upload for some reason

Back