• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on water after a new engine install

It could also be the water coolant lines. I have one that only leaks a little at high rpm going into the oil cooler. A way to check it to completely dry the area around the motors. Take it for a quick rip and see if there is any water indication forward of the coupler.
I’m going to do that now. Is it the red and blue one running underneath the engine?

Did you ever figure it out ?

Did you ever figure it out ?

No, I’m still at a total loss. I can’t even figure out what im doing to get it to do it again. I thought it was the rear shaft seal. Have had a friend go at every rpm while I had my face in between the engines. Nothing

Had thought it was happening when I had a full boat so tried again with a bunch of people at every rpm. Nothing. I’m also looking at the scupper and everything else

My next guess is back under the swim platform where the exhaust is. Only I can’t rig it to run while it’s open so I’m trying to that out

This isn’t related to installing a new engine, but it is a source of water, so thought I would mention it. Maybe check that the tubes where the clean out plugs are located are secured. You can view them under the hatch. There should be a hose clamp at the very top and the very bottom. Sometimes those thing will come loose. I believe the bottom is also sealed (caulked) which also may break. Probably not the source but worth checking I guess.

This isn’t related to installing a new engine, but it is a source of water, so thought I would mention it. Maybe check that the tubes where the clean out plugs are located are secured. You can view them under the hatch. There should be a hose clamp at the very top and the very bottom. Sometimes those thing will come loose. I believe the bottom is also sealed (caulked) which also may break. Probably not the source but worth checking I guess.

You know I was looking at those. It is definitely wet in there so I sort of suspected that. Would it be more prone to leak in some circumstances? Like a full, heavy boat or at greater speeds. I know they just drain water that comes up over the swim platform

You know I was looking at those. It is definitely wet in there so I sort of suspected that. Would it be more prone to leak in some circumstances? Like a full, heavy boat or at greater speeds. I know they just drain water that comes up over the swim platform
So what I’m talking about is how those tubes are seated. Lift up the removable cover under the hatch and observe those tubes from that perspective. You will see how they are suppose to be seated and secured with hose clamps. If they are not tight or if the hose clamp is not at the right place, there can be a gap where water can come in.

So what I’m talking about is how those tubes are seated. Lift up the removable cover under the hatch and observe those tubes from that perspective. You will see how they are suppose to be seated and secured with hose clamps. If they are not tight or if the hose clamp is not at the right place, there can be a gap where water can come in.

I believe I know exactly what you’re.talking about. I will open it up today and get a good look at the clamps and everything. I think I’m also getting some cavitation in that same port motor. Could be totally unrelated. I’m reading threods on here to do that now

Looks like this one just passed with the white 90’ elbow is definitely leaking. The all black one with the mate on the other side. If I’m tracing that correctly, is this coming straight into the cylinder head? I’m not sure if it’s enough or the only one that’s leaking but I’m gonna shoot through here and tighten everything that needs it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Back