• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on water

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read how a few recent 240/42 owners are noticing more water in their bilge that their comfortable with. I haven't got this concern with only a small amount after a long day out on the water but what I have noticed is while I'm washing the boat down, particularly when I'm washing the rear deck and clean out ports, my bilge pump would kick in and empty for a few seconds.
This lead me to investigate, upon checking the clean out port cover it hadn't been sealed, further to my horror the one side is so close to the edge there are no screws holding it down.

image.jpeg

I've now sealed completely around the tray but I'm thankful I notice as my port clean out does fill with water meaning it could, in theory, fill the boat within water if it got worse. A little miffed Yamaha over looked this basic assembly as it could of lead to a serious hazard if not noticed.
I'd advise anybody with a 240 to check, plus the inspection hatch is a terrible design, it just relys on gravity to seal :confused:, I'd much prefer the round twist and lock versions.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yikes, Hopefully that guy got fired. going to check mine this weekend now.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine leaked at the same spot. It soaked the sound foam on the inside.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The robot screwed it up.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The clean-out apron was one of my minor leaks. I had two major ones that were coming from the hull fittings for the drive shafts. Both leaked heavily from day one. 5 minutes at wot would produce 2 gallons in the bilge. Marineland Boating Center in Waco TX, where I bought the boat, told me that "they all leak" and my invoice says that they tested the boat in their water tank... but they don't have a water tank, so I guess that's why they didn't find any leaks.
Luckily Texas Marine in Conroe TX was more professional and less ignorant. It only took them 4 months to fix most of the leaks. I had to fix the last one myself.
I took my boat out today, and for the first time since I bought the boat new, it doesn't leak. 3M 5200 is good stuff.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my AR230 the clean out tray on the fwd end, most of the screws were right at edge of fiberglass and just there for show. The silicone from mother yamaha held it down and secured as well as keeping the screws in position. I was shocked at the craftsmanship as well, to me that should be a QA check.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any idea if this issue would also cause my clean out ports to fill with water? At the end of every outing I’ve had both clean out ports full to the top of water.