• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tampa Fiberglass Repair

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had the boat out in some high winds and contacted a concrete structure resulting in damage to the front port side hand rail and gelcoat. Anyone recommend a place to repair this in Tampa?

It doesn't look structural. I'll probably buy another handrail and replace that myself.

Attachments

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recommend Captain Levi’s in St. Pete. Attached is a very similar bit of damage I did to my boat. They fixed this for $450 which was a bit less than the original estimate. He told me that the repair kit would be enough to fix more damage but I didn’t have anything else to fix. I don’t have an “after” shot because you can’t tell where it was. I’m very obsessive about imperfections in my boat & I couldn’t find any blemishes or color inconsistencies at all. I will definitely take my boat here again should I have the same misfortune in the future. Best of luck.

Attachments

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the recommendation and including a price to give me some kind of expectation.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fixing/replacing that rail is going to get your hands dirty (and your forearms encrusted with FRP) anyway, at that point I would fix the gash (with gel coat), too.
The 2oz. gel coat paste kit (OEM sold by Spectrum through iBoats) is ~$30 and it will be perfect for the job. This is not under waterline, with enough elbow grease and the right process and gel coat material you can make it disappear completely. Just an idea.

--

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm, very interesting, I'm going to place the order. I hope it's as easy as they state.

2 Questions:
1) Is it safe to trust Spectrum's website SKU? Spectrum's website shows SKU F557018K for a 2018, but the iBoat says only up to 2011.
2) Why is replacing the hand rail going to encrust my arms? It seems like an easy two bolt process, with the assistance of socket extensions.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered two of the 2 oz bottles (F557018K) - seems to be a fairly easy process.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2) Why is replacing the hand rail going to encrust my arms? It seems like an easy two bolt process, with the assistance of socket extensions.
Probably it's just me, lol, I can be clumsy. But anytime I stick my hands under that hull cap, anywhere, I get fiberglass shards in my skin... The inside edges are very sharp, too.

--