• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Temporary Ballast

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anybody who uses temporary ballast bags for surfing mind posting up your bag locations? Pics?

I am considering getting a couple of 750# bags and was initially thinking about placing one on the floor and one on the port cushions, but I am concerned about weight on the cushions. I really can't use the under cushion area because it is filled with batteries, amps, sub. Which brings me to my next question, am I crazy to consider putting 750 lbs of water on top of the electronics?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes , that is how we started , I have had no I'll affects with having bags on the seat , and after they are filled up we sit on them !! That's actually fun place to watch the action !!!!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How do you get a 750lb bag to stay on the seat? I put one on my swim deck with tie down straps above and beneath it but I don't want straps tearing into my seats.

I use my stock 212x ballast plus 750lb on the swimdeck shaded to the surf side. I fill my front ski locker and then put another 350 under the front surf side seat. Surf side is starboard for us since we are just plain goofy!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just set it on there , while it fills I stand by it so it doesn't fall off , but once it's full it just stays there

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is a big square block when it's full

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll snap a pic next time out

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
20140614_141948.jpg Yep mine just stay in place also.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only temporary ballast I use is breakfast. That being said, 10 full adults can really weigh the ass end of my boat down, so it's nothing to sneeze at!
I just slide everything and everybody to the back of the boat and put the tabs down and throttle up just to the breakover point.

Throws a nice little wake for the kids. If they are happy my wife is happy. And you know the rest!:winkingthumbsup"

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same 750 fly high
I surf goofy so there might not be enough room on the starboard side to put that bag. I could try across the back seat again.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
"smacks self in head" That is right....forgot about that. I did put my 550 pound aerial bag on my goofy side one time. It fit just fine.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is the best way to tie down the bags if using them on the transom? I'm worried of I use the grab rail used for pulling you up from the ladder it will put to much pressure on it. Also what is the pull strength of the tow cleat? if I use that as part of the tiedown setup will a 800 lb bag put to much pressure on it? Only other option i can think of is coming off of the tower from both sides...?

How is everyone else doing it, assuming others put a bag on the transom.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a couple of tie downs with a short strap between to hold my 800lb sumo on the back deck. I have seen picks of cargo nets that looked great. Cam.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just hook my tow cleat, under and around the bag, then tie off to the side grab handle next to the port seat. It will not be much pressure, you are just getting it not to move.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, I tried out a few ways and happy with the way its working tie off from the tow cleat and grab handles on the transom. plus its easy to unscrew the plugs to empty while i pump out the other bag under the seat at the same time.

With my batteries moved and i glued in protective panels all the way to the aft section on the port side i can fit a 800# sumo sac on that side under the seat and tie the other 800# across the transom seat. It puts out a great wake now, but I still can't go rope-less. I wont hijack this thread with different board types but bottom line is I'm getting around a 3' wake straightline and that should be more then enough to wakesurf i would think.

Happy with my placement but not happy with my board.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the best way to tie down the bags if using them on the transom? I'm worried of I use the grab rail used for pulling you up from the ladder it will put to much pressure on it. Also what is the pull strength of the tow cleat? if I use that as part of the tiedown setup will a 800 lb bag put to much pressure on it? Only other option i can think of is coming off of the tower from both sides...?

How is everyone else doing it, assuming others put a bag on the transom.
I've used rope to hook to lower tow point, set bag on top of said rope, and tie other ends to tower. I've also used a pair of ratcheting straps. I have a new 800 lb bag and I'm going to create something custom so we don't get out there and wing it.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have my 800 lb Sumo Sacs under the port and starboard seats in our SX210. I don't see any reason to have them up on top of the seats. Of course, if I want to run more weight than that on either side I'll need to put one up there. If you're just getting the two bags, though, why not put one under each seat and pushed back as far as possible?