• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Test Drove a 2012 Malibu LSV 23 Today

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And I have to say I was disappointed. I went with the intention to buy it but I just didn't like it. The main cockpit area was bigger that my SX230 but the bow was smaller, much smaller. Storage was poor, none in the bow and the under seat storage was just ok. Most seats were not hinged, which surprised me, and they were a pain in the ass. The seat fabric and interior finish was significantly nicer than my Yamaha though. The engine noise was much louder than I expected and was a deal breaker for me (350 Monsoon). It had lots of fancy touch screen controls but one screen was starting to delaminate already. At the end of the day it made me realize just how useful, practical and versatile my Yamaha is.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And I have to say I was disappointed. I went with the intention to buy it but I just didn't like it. The main cockpit area was bigger that my SX230 but the bow was smaller, much smaller. Storage was poor, none in the bow and the under seat storage was just ok. Most seats were not hinged, which surprised me, and they were a pain in the ass. The seat fabric and interior finish was significantly nicer than my Yamaha though. The engine noise was much louder than I expected and was a deal breaker for me (350 Monsoon). It had lots of fancy touch screen controls but one screen was starting to delaminate already. At the end of the day it made me realize just how useful, practical and versatile my Yamaha is.
Amazing how much a test drive can tell you about something.

I've done the same thing with a number of cars. Went in to buy, and realized as I was sitting down in my current vehicle how much I liked it, and didn't want to change.

Bonus idea: Can you take the money you "saved" by not buying the new boat and convince the wife you need some mods for the Yamaha?!?!?!

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bonus idea: Can you take the money you "saved" by not buying the new boat and convince the wife you need some mods for the Yamaha?!?!?
Besides an automated ballast system I'm pretty max out on the mods

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had also looked at a 2012 Malibu 23 LSV while I was looking at a older Centurion Enzo SV230 at the dealer. I also was not impressed with the Malibu but I’ve also never been a huge fan of those boats. As you said the LSV doesn’t have bow storage at all since the hard tank is under the bow area. Malibu boats tend to have a smaller bow than other wake boats as they move their windshield further to the front so that their main cockpit is larger than other boats. Other boats move their windshield back to distribute the space differently. Just have to see which works for you and why I highly suggest seeing several boats in person and demoing them. That particular LSV hull is pretty flat at the stern and is the same hull many of the Axis boats are made of. When I test drove the Axis A22 it rode pretty rough in chop at speeds above 28 mph. Malibu and Axis boats won’t ride as smooth as deep v and better shaped hulls, so make sure you test drive and cross the wakes in figure 8’s to see how the boat takes it. This is why I prefer a lot of freeboard and deeper v hull for a smoother and dry ride.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@haknslash out of curiosity which wakeboard boats have the deepest V hull?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably Centurion and the new ZS Supreme have one of the deepest hulls in the wake boat segment. 2o degree deadrise at the transom on the new hulls. Their new hulls are actually less pronounced at the transom than the older Centurions which had very steep angles at the transom. Their new "Opti-V" hull has many surfaces front, side, bottom and rear that all work to make the boat eat up chop and waves and they are also efficient (for a wake boat) to help save on gas. Here's a nice little write-up about the Opti-V http://www.mmwatersports.com/centurion/centurion-technology/opti-v-hull/.

image.jpeg

Look at the front and just how steep of V this Centurion Ri257's hull is. Aside from looking like a piece of art, the hull literally looks like it would act like a hot knife cutting into butter they way it's shaped.

image.jpeg

It's not just a deep v though as there are other boats that don't have a super deep v yet ride good in rough waters and chop, obviously not as good as a deep v but still better than an LSV or Axis. The Supra and Moomba boats share similar hulls and they are not a true deep v from bow to transom but their hulls perform very good in rougher water and crossing wakes. Their hull is deep v in the bow and then slowly widens out towards the stern if you look underneath the boat. Kind of like an "angled tub" than deep v. Combined with heavy weight those boats ride real nice for not being such a deep v design like a Centurion is.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The way the entire hull is shaped plays a big role in how a wake boat will ride in the water at different speeds. MB Sport also has a very deep v and rides good in rough water. I think even Sanger rides good in rough water but those boats don't have enough freeboard and look like they're gonna sink when sacked out lol. I simply was not impressed at all with the ride quality of the A22 / LSV hull above wakeboarding speeds. It also rides very bow high in the air when on plane which doesn't help since it's pretty flat from midship to stern. Looking at the pics below of various Malibu boats you can see just how much wider the flat section of the bottom of the hull is compared to the boat hulls above. This wide flat bottom is what you will feel as it slaps on the water rather than slice through it. The wider and flatter it is the harder/harsher it's usually going to ride.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Below is the Axis hull and as you can see it's pretty much like the Malibu since they share the same hull design. Very wide, flat hull in the middle and does not handle chop well at all.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now you got me wondering what Tige hulls look like, guess I'll have to stop by my friends dealership this week.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Now you got me wondering what Tige hulls look like, guess I'll have to stop by my friends dealership this week.
It really depends on the model with the Tige. Some are flatter than others. They are said to ride pretty good on the forums I browse. They just aren’t supported in my area and QC can be hit or miss it seems with them. They have great looking lines though yet a bit narrower than other boats depending on model.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2D1F1120-58A8-455A-AEAD-4E70BA615DC1.jpeg MB Sports wakeboats also have a pretty deep V. Here’s a pic of mine from the back. Rides and handles great.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats the deal with the wack-a-doo centering of the exhaust outlets? Surely the exhaust doesn't play that large of a role in the shape of the wake does it? Are they trying to ensure the exhaust stays under water while listed to one side for carbon monoxide concerns when surfing that close to the boat?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a "Fresh Air Exhaust" pipe, which shifts the exhaust outlet from above water to underwater. Dramatically reduces exhaust noise both behind and inside the boat and gets the exhaust out of a wakesurfer's face. It's an excellent addition.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Whats the deal with the wack-a-doo centering of the exhaust outlets? Surely the exhaust doesn't play that large of a role in the shape of the wake does it? Are they trying to ensure the exhaust stays under water while listed to one side for carbon monoxide concerns when surfing that close to the boat?
As @OrangeTJ mentioned it's for sound reduction and to keep the carbon monoxide dumping into the water than swirling around the surfer or people seating in the back. I wished all boats dumped the exhaust into the water. I know it can get kind of strong at times with fumes looming around if idling for long periods depending with the wind to my back or if I'm running a heavy load.

Good video to watch...