• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Testing and Charging New Batteries

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have used two of the group 24/34 AGM batteries (from Sams Club) in my 212X for the last several years. My accessory battery has "developed" a bad cell and been replaced multiple times. (on a completely seperate note, I just read a forum where someone mentioned a similar issues and possibly pointed towards the on-board trickle charger as not being compatible with AGM batteries).

Yesterday I decided to back to flooded cell batteries and picked up two Interstate Group 27 batteries from Costco. I also ordered two NOCO Group 27 battery boxes from Amazon to replace my current group 24 battery boxes. I was somewhat relieved to see the Group 27 battery box, also should fit a Group 31 battery as well should I change it out in further years.

Anyway, with that introduction out of the way, here is my question. I put the one new Interstate Group 27 battery on my charger and charged it overnight and got it to "FULL". The second one has been on even longer, and I cannot get it to show more than 90%. I checked the water level and it appears full. This battery business is wasting my time. But should I take it back and get a different one that will charge to a "full" status on my charger? or just leave it as is?

Thanks,
Brian

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would take it back. I have returned 2 costco 27 batteries last year for poor charging and fluctuating voltage. I am using my 6 yr old dexa type 24 right now. Cam.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ended up doing a 180 degree turn. I took my one defective Group 24 AGM back to Sams club and did a Core exchange and am going to return the Group 27 batteries to Costco. I have had two different AGM's develop a bad cell, but maybe it's just a bit of bad luck. The sams club AGM has an 18 month exchange warranty, which truly means its guaranteed for two seasons if replaced at the beginning of the season. I hope it lasts longer obviously, but two years doesn't seem like its that uncommon for marine batteries.